• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Drive Cup Brace / Pin Retainer

looker2756

Contributor
Here is a small deal we have been working on for a while. We are still testing these, and have had no issues as of yet. These sleves brace the drive cups & also keep the stock dogbone pins from falling out. We believe this will be an easy & cheap way of beefing up the drive line in your Rampage. There is also one nice advantage of these, which is, it allows the use of driveline boots & they will fit corrcectly now.

Just a simple procedure to get to the drive cups & use the adhesive to hold them in place. This set covers all of the drive cups. Check them out :

https://018bd34.netsolstores.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2534

looker2756

Contributor
kryptonite said:
HOLY CRAP!! thats such a great idea. how well does that glue hold up and what kinda glue is it?
It's just a general adhesive. The braces are machined to fit very well on the cups. The adhesive is basically just to hold them from sliding off. We have seen that you should check for your pin fit, as we have seen a few with pins a bit farther on one side, or longer all over than others. You could possibly need to take a very small amount off the ends or one end of a drive pin. That way it doesn't drag at all on the brace sleve. I've watch stock cups & dogbones take some pretty serious abuse & also be raced hard on a track with them. We are still running this set-up on a stock drive line with 0 problems with pin failure or loss, & no cup problems. It's a cheap way to brace things up & the increased size allowing boots to fit is also very nice for keeping things clean & lubed.

kg2mb

i ordered a set.Looks like it comes with enough to do all the drive axles and the center dog bones. :)

looker2756

Contributor
Yep. Enough to do the entire drive line. Hoping to get mine on over the weekend, if I'm not busy running it. We have had rain several weekends in a row. Looking forward to this one. It's supposed to be decent out. Hate to be wrenching when I could be having fun. :D

AlvaSpeed

I lost a pin on a center dog bone after 2 minutes of starting the car for the very first time (brand new car)

I put a bolt with a nylon lock nut in place until I get new parts.

I hope it last more than a couple of minutes.

mooman007uk

Banned
green loctite all your pins, i haven't had one come out since i did them 3 mths ago.

if you browse thru the posts you'll find all the pre run fixes that you need to do before you run....it'll save you a lot of frustration and grief and most cost nothing.

mooman007uk

Banned
I didn't even take out the pins, green loctite will draw thru by capillary action into any tiny space, i had one that was coming out when i did them all so i punched that one out, roughed the pin with a dremel then put it back in with loctite. i haven't lost a pin since i did them all.

Rammer

Clubin said:
Looker, what material are the retainers made out of?
Got them , looks like there made of aluminum ..Also looks like I am going to have to trim dog bone pins a little,to get the retainers to work.So the dog bone pins and retainers , don't bind ......Need to think of a way to trim pins equaly.Maybe a stack of washers on pin then grind with a dremal ......???

Clubin

Banned
Rammer said:
Got them , looks like there made of aluminum ..Also looks like I am going to have to trim dog bone pins a little,to get the retainers to work.So the dog bone pins and retainers , don't bind ......Need to think of a way to trim pins equaly.Maybe a stack of washers on pin then grind with a dremal ......???
Ah ha, kinda what I thought, I already placed my Innovative order. I didn't order any, I thought they were aluminum. The length of the dog bone pins was a concern to me when I was installing my HPI boots, I noticed the pins were all extending past the cup.
Let us know how they work out for you.

CAT5MFG

Contributor
Clubin said:
Looker, what material are the retainers made out of?
The material is 6061-T6 aluminum. The dogbone pins are a little long, so sanding them down is necessary for smooth movement.

Thanks to all who have purchased the retainers. I hope they work well for you.

Clubin

Banned
CAT5MFG said:
The material is 6061-T6 aluminum. The dogbone pins are a little long, so sanding them down is necessary for smooth movement.
Thanks to all who have purchased the retainers. I hope they work well for you.
Hey, welcome Scott. There will be a set on my next order.

AlvaSpeed

I installed a set on my TT.

Had to grind the pins down to about 4mm each side. Sanding them will give you tennis elbow, wrist, etc....

Then you have to test fit each one on the cup with the sleeve installed to check if they work fine.

Also all the drive cups are not made equally, their internal diameter is different.

I tried a brand new center dogbone and after grinding the pins, the round part of the dogbone was bigger that the inner diameter of the drive cup so I had to take a dremel and smooth the bore.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts