• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

DR won't start after first 20 minutes running

Selvaje

I ran a tank of fuel through my DR last week no problem @ idle. Today was my first time taking it out, and it ran okay for about 1/2 a tank. After that it shutoff when I let off of the throttle. Now it won't start. I went and bought a NGK plug to replace the stock one, and I have the same results. Where do I begin to get my DR back running???

sanos

You replaced the spark plug, but did you check if you have spark?

Selvaje

Tank is not vented. I tested for spark by sticking a screwdriver in the plug boot and pulling the starter with the screwdriver close to the sparkplug. No spark.

rampagemt

It's your vent its a must !!! I can't tell you how many problems like your experiencing I was dealing with when I first started these. Vent the tank and then diagnose from there.

Chief409

No spark, take the pull start and fan cover off. Then loosen the two magneto mount screws, stick a business card between the flywheel and rotate the flywheel until the magnet pulls the magneto against the business card. Tighten the magneto mount screws down real tight, reassemble and see if you have spark.

But, FIRST make sure both the red and black leads are attached to the kill button AND the magneto. It dosen't matter which lead is attached to which post on the magneto or kill button. If a lead is loose, no spark.

Last edited by a moderator:

rcgasser

rampagemt said:
It's your vent its a must !!! I can't tell you how many problems like your experiencing I was dealing with when I first started these. Vent the tank and then diagnose from there.
+1 start with venting the tank first then diagnose from there even if you don't vent the tank remove the gas cap first then put the cap back on try to crank if its cranks you know you must vent the tank but without venting the tank you will keep having running and tune issues.

Chief409

Also the clunk filter in the tank can come off, then the fuel tube could curl to the top of the tank. I had that happen. Use a small zip tie there to prevent that.

I use the Snappy vent and it's great. When you put on a built engine the cap vent isn't enough. Can't use the tank cap that comes with the Snappy vent kit though, it's for HPI tanks which have larger fuel necks.

Last edited by a moderator:

RKIV

dr dies after 20

Selvaje said:
I ran a tank of fuel through my DR last week no problem @ idle. Today was my first time taking it out, and it ran okay for about 1/2 a tank. After that it shutoff when I let off of the throttle. Now it won't start. I went and bought a NGK plug to replace the stock one, and I have the same results. Where do I begin to get my DR back running???
All my x platforms had same problem, the tank would pressure ize and rc would die, I WOULD REACH DOWN OPEN THE GAS TANK LID AND IT WOULD HIS,AFTER AIR WAS OUT I TIGHTENED CAP UP AND STARTED WITH IN 2-3 PULLS,SO LED ME TO HAVING TO VENT THE LID, TRY THIS ALSO IF DIES AGAIN,YES I AGREE WITH OTHERS ON HERE CHECK KILL SWITCH AND COIL,

REVOlutionary Rampage

RKIV said:
All my x platforms had same problem, the tank would pressure ize and rc would die, I WOULD REACH DOWN OPEN THE GAS TANK LID AND IT WOULD HIS,AFTER AIR WAS OUT I TIGHTENED CAP UP AND STARTED WITH IN 2-3 PULLS,SO LED ME TO HAVING TO VENT THE LID, TRY THIS ALSO IF DIES AGAIN,YES I AGREE WITH OTHERS ON HERE CHECK KILL SWITCH AND COIL,
Just an FYI on most forum if you write in caps it is basically the same as yelling. It isn't a big deal but I just thought you should know. :)

laxbro19

Selvaje said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm gonna get that vent kit ordered, will I need another fuel cap to go with it?
No. The stock fuel cap will work. You just have to plug the "vent" in the cap. I just shoved a toothpick as far down as it would go and broke it off.

Chief409

Set screw, tooth pick in the cap or one stuck in the diaphragm, they all work to block the cap vent. I think I'll make some kind of filter for my Snappy vent to keep the dirt and sand out.

Phill

laxbro19 said:
The Snappy RC fuel vent kit from DDM is what I use and it works great
Hi Laxbro

Did you need to modify the tank hole to fit or is the grommet supplied the same size?

Thanks

Phill

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts