• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Did I damage the crankshaft?

BertR

Yep....I would have to say spend the 45 or 50 bucks on a new one because if you don't have that crank perfect it will self destruction on the entire engine from out of balance and costing you 4 times as much as a new crank.

Deluge

File it down, man. It's on the clutch side, there's really no balancing to throw off on that end. As long as you get the clutch carrier on straight, you're good to go. And it's not going to effect the seal at all since it's right at the end. Now if it was on the flywheel side, that's when you would need to replace it. You don't want anything throwing off the balance of the flywheel.

RampageHopUps

You have a 30.5 cc engine. The Redcat factory never understood there is no 30cc engine.

You can file or grind the taper, but without a lathe, you will never get it right.

RampageHopUps

Yes, they have been 30.5cc since the beginning

There is no mathematical way of putting together a 30.0 cc engine.

reppairman540

The Bore In My Redcat MT is 37mm Stroke 28mm =30.1cc I Know it is strange but I Have Checked it several times I Bought it in Jan It Has 36/30 Stamped on the Head

phreerider

i would grind it, the length has been altered. could finish clutch contact further out on the bell but looks within range. definitely check carrier finished position shoes should not be visible ...if lipped area is not of ideal taper could lock on carrier . Check bolt depth BEFORE putting on carrier, proves threaded end is still true(kinda),,if it won't go all the way its over, and check for run out as well, assemble---> zero wobble is what u want

PrjctStrtFrce

I was actually able to lightly force the plate onto the crankshaft end. It is sitting very straight and snug, but there is less than a 1mm gap from where the crankshaft threaded end should be fully touching the inside of the plate. Should I try to file it down a little or is that <1mm gap okay?

phreerider

file, then squeeze it down...you could squeeze it down now,BUT the soft carrier will deform.

the 1mm is partly the squeeze space, but clean it up and keep moving

Deluge

That gap will get taken up when the carrier is fully pressed on. As long as the clutch is sitting straight and not sticking out more than usual, it'll be alright.

Last edited by a moderator:

PrjctStrtFrce

Ahh, okay. I'll have to file it down a little more then because it can't get pressed anymore due to the end being how it is.

PrjctStrtFrce

Okay great, thank you.

For future situations like this, would I just be able to use a brass plumbing cap over the shaft and then hit it out with a hammer? I would prefer to spend a couple dollars over $20+ for a brass hammer.

BertR

With all the lube in the box the case should pop apart after the bolts are out or maybe a little pressure applied near the bearings to remove the crank.It blows me away that it was that stuck and a pain in the rear.. Next time take a brass wire brush and give it a good going over at the exterior shaft areas near the seal to get the buildup out and it should fall apart.

Last edited by a moderator:

PrjctStrtFrce

The case was relatively easy to separate. Taking the crank out of the case on the flywheel side was pretty easy as well, only the clutch side gave me the headache.

I ended up using my dremel and sanded/polished off the rough edge a little bit and it is a smoother fit now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts