• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

De anodizing

Deluge

TerraKill said:
little spots? you mean when the metal pitts(looks likes its being eaten)?hmm i got that effect on a few parts i left in a few seconds to long, but a quick rubb with 200-400grit paper brung them back to a smooth finish again(then i prep all parts with 1200grit paper then polish).

the solution didnt have any problems at removing any of the anodize, removed it 1st time round :D

but this was a REALLY strong mix of proper caustic soda(about 2:1), not that stuff sold as drain cleaner/unblocker.
For example I de-anodized some parts for my 5T and no matter how long I let them soak, there was still some anodizing left in crevices. Just wondering if the solution you used actually removed ALL of the anodizing.

Deluge

Ryneito said:
I have forgot about a few parts before for about an hour and rubbed the black off and they looked fine. If I'm not mistaken the black is just oxidation and comes right off, almost like soot. I think your final result is gonna depend on the quality of the machine work. I've had zero problems so far. I can post a pic of my progress later today...I have learned that the better the anadizing job the longer it will take
That's for sure! I've let some parts soak for a couple of hours and the anodizing still wasn't completely off. PhatDad parts are a bitch to de-ano.

Deluge

TerraKill said:
the shock tower is how it looks after the caustic mix, the the roof after polished :) coulda made the roof look better but i think i done prittu well as it is removing all the scratchs(smashed 2 sparkplugs with tht roof /w no shell)

some more polished parts from yesterday
Awesome job, dude!

G

Ryneito said:
I have forgot about a few parts before for about an hour and rubbed the black off and they looked fine. If I'm not mistaken the black is just oxidation and comes right off, almost like soot. I think your final result is gonna depend on the quality of the machine work. I've had zero problems so far. I can post a pic of my progress later today...I have learned that the better the anadizing job the longer it will take
The black is just oxidation. Yep comes right off.

Some parts are machined from lower quality aluminum so they don't look as good. The anodizing hides a lot.

G

TerraKill said:
just deanodized all my stuff (pics to come when finished polishing)i just used a strong caustic soda+water mix, diped my bits in for about 30-40 seconds(when it started to fizz and smoke all over) and job was done!

i was worryed it was going to pit the ally, but it hasnt and its come out really nice, only have the chassis and fuel tank brackets left to polish
Can you just purchase caustic soda at the hardware store over there? Ive only seen it come from industrial supply over here.

TerraKill

RCDAD said:
Can you just purchase caustic soda at the hardware store over there? Ive only seen it come from industrial supply over here.
yeh we have a few stores that sell it, but you are right its more of an industrial/trade chemical

G

When I was a kid I spent a summer working for a company called Auto Chlore. They manufactured commercial dishwashers for restaurants. They made there own detergents for them. They used it as an ingrediant. I dripped a little bit of the concentrated liquid which contained caustic soda. It just left a wet spot on my shoe. By the time I got home, the top of my foot was itching like crazy. I found a hole in the top of my foot about 10mm deep and about as big around as my pinky. No blood or anything. Just a bad burn.

Be careful with the caustic stuff!

TerraKill

RCDAD said:
When I was a kid I spent a summer working for a company called Auto Chlore. They manufactured commercial dishwashers for restaurants. They made there own detergents for them. They used it as an ingrediant. I dripped a little bit of the concentrated liquid which contained caustic soda. It just left a wet spot on my shoe. By the time I got home, the top of my foot was itching like crazy. I found a hole in the top of my foot about 10mm deep and about as big around as my pinky. No blood or anything. Just a bad burn. Be careful with the caustic stuff!
lol, i never learnt the 1st time not to mess with the stuff, and it almost cost me an eye the 2nd time, but thts another thread lol, don't MESS WITH THE STUFF! :D

G

It was no big deal really the tissue filled back in. Looks like I was branded with a dime.

G

rampagemt said:
Oven cleaner works and fast Hell ya!!!!
It does work fast. Just don't inhale too much. You can feel it strip your insides. :p

rampagemt

I am gonna do more parts just want to get a mask or something don't wanna harm myself too much from deanodizing

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts