• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

De anodizing

rampagemt

If i polish it will it be good for quite some time or will it need to be polished a lot cause that won't be fun

rampagemt

Ok deluge! I will do it! That's what was holding me back! What would you use oven cleaner or greased lightning. this will be my first time de anodizing

Deluge

I've never tried oven cleaner, but I've seen it eat aluminum if you don't keep an eye on it. Degreaser has always worked for me. I've used Greased Lightning, it's good stuff. Purple Power is good stuff, as well.

rampagemt

Well I went to pull stock bearings out or gear plate and all the seals were falling off so i made an order at largescale for the pro spec bearing lot and 2 bearings for the center mount that transfers power to the front end. Hope gets here soon as belt drive will be here tom!

G

Sorry to hear that man. That's why all the new kits will come complete. You never know what you find until you tear it down.

cordy

When and if you want your aluminum to really shine,go to your local motorcycle shop and get some semi chrome polish. We used to do our motorcycle cases with it. You can get it so brite you cant look at it in direct sunlite.

Deluge

rampagemt said:
Well I went to pull stock bearings out or gear plate and all the seals were falling off so i made an order at largescale for the pro spec bearing lot and 2 bearings for the center mount that transfers power to the front end. Hope gets here soon as belt drive will be here tom!
Bummer. Oh well. Gives you a reason to upgrade!

TerraKill

just deanodized all my stuff (pics to come when finished polishing)

i just used a strong caustic soda+water mix, diped my bits in for about 30-40 seconds(when it started to fizz and smoke all over) and job was done!

i was worryed it was going to pit the ally, but it hasnt and its come out really nice, only have the chassis and fuel tank brackets left to polish

Ryneito

Greased lightning is working for me. I leave my parts in it until they turn black. A simple scrub with an old toothbrush and they look like they just came off the machine. I've been using 000 steel wool to put a final shine on them. I've been doing my XB parts as I get them and currently doing my Kyosho Inferno and it looks amazing.

Deluge

TerraKill said:
just deanodized all my stuff (pics to come when finished polishing)i just used a strong caustic soda+water mix, diped my bits in for about 30-40 seconds(when it started to fizz and smoke all over) and job was done!

i was worryed it was going to pit the ally, but it hasnt and its come out really nice, only have the chassis and fuel tank brackets left to polish
Do you still get those pain in the ass spots with that solution? I know with degreaser, it doesn't always remove the anodizing from the tight areas.

Deluge

Ryneito said:
Greased lightning is working for me. I leave my parts in it until they turn black. A simple scrub with an old toothbrush and they look like they just came off the machine. I've been using 000 steel wool to put a final shine on them. I've been doing my XB parts as I get them and currently doing my Kyosho Inferno and it looks amazing.
That's how I do it. Then I hit them with some fine steel wool and then some aluminum polish.

TerraKill

Ryneito said:
i was led to belive that if you leave them till they turn black youve left them to long? :confused:

im pritty sure greased lightning/oven cleaners are just a diluted versons of caustic soda(Sodium hydroxide)?

when i got mine out of the solution they was a lovly pale colour,

with a few black marks where i didnt wash the solution off properly intime

after thourly washing my bits i repeated the process not tht is was needed, but just to give me a perfect finish all over the parts, and remove any black marks.

Deluge said:
Do you still get those pain in the ass spots with that solution? I know with degreaser, it doesn't always remove the anodizing from the tight areas.
little spots? you mean when the metal pitts(looks likes its being eaten)?

hmm i got that effect on a few parts i left in a few seconds to long, but a quick rubb with 200-400grit paper brung them back to a smooth finish again(then i prep all parts with 1200grit paper then polish).

the solution didnt have any problems at removing any of the anodize, removed it 1st time round :D

but this was a REALLY strong mix of proper caustic soda(about 2:1), not that stuff sold as drain cleaner/unblocker.

got all parts polished now :) then i noticed my gearplate was missing!!

>.< now i gotta get more caustic just to do the gear plate ahaha

Note to self, NEVER!!! EVER!!! EVER!!! NEVER NEVER NEVER!!! add water to caustic soda!!! ALWAYS add caustic soda to water!!!! and wear googles and gloves, it nots the sort of stuff u wanna play with.

and don't use thin walled containers, use a proper bucket or somthing, as the water will almost boil due to the reaction when you add the soda

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryneito

I have forgot about a few parts before for about an hour and rubbed the black off and they looked fine. If I'm not mistaken the black is just oxidation and comes right off, almost like soot. I think your final result is gonna depend on the quality of the machine work. I've had zero problems so far. I can post a pic of my progress later today...I have learned that the better the anadizing job the longer it will take

TerraKill

the shock tower is how it looks after the caustic mix, the the roof after polished :) coulda made the roof look better but i think i done prittu well as it is removing all the scratchs(smashed 2 sparkplugs with tht roof /w no shell)

some more polished parts from yesterday

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts