• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

DDM Dominator Test Run Video

DemonRC

The rain finally broke for a quick test video with the new Dom. I ran it with my DS engine and it really starts hitting the pipe real early. Acceleration was awesome, however, it was so good the engine was capping out real quick because of the 25/35 stock gears. I think 29/31 would make real quick on the top end while still maintaining great acceleration. I'll get another vid up when my gears come in.

Notice the runs I did parallel to the street. There's a red SUV I raced on one long run. I kept up with him and that's a 45 mph street so I'm just guessing top speed is around there with those 25/35's.

BTW, notice all the water :eek: . I had some silicone around the edges of my radio box and there wasn't a drop in it :D .

BASH IT TILL IT BREAKS!

http://blip.tv/file/1882327/

Last edited by a moderator:

chucked

I got 29-31 on mine, 26.9 race port, same pipe, 813 carb. And im only hittin 38 mph according to when I ran it on the scaled 1/4 mile at my hobby shops drag race thing.

DemonRC

chucked said:
I got 29-31 on mine, 26.9 race port, same pipe, 813 carb. And im only hittin 38 mph according to when I ran it on the scaled 1/4 mile at my hobby shops drag race thing.
I would think you'd be faster than 38 with that setup. My Eight-T has always run at 42ish with it's current setup. The Rampage feels like it's running the same speed. I'll get my son to race me on the street a few times when he gets outta school and see for sure.

Also:

I think you mentioned in another post you had gears melting. Are your gears meshing free still?

Was your porting the optional DDM porting or was it a ESP port?

So that's a 35mm bore and non stroked crank. Is it a stuffed or nonstuffed crank?

Stock flywheel or lightened flywheel?

Are you running low drag seals?

You running the TT rims still? I do as they're much lighter than anything for the 5B.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to gather comparison info.

DemonRC

pipeous said:
Runs good and music I can enjoy
Lizardking said:
nice video.
Ron E said:
nice video, that thing is gettin down... :eek:
Thanks guys. I just ordered the 29/31 today so I'll get another vid up this weekend running 29/31 or 31/29 gearing. It should be pretty fast. I'll have to put some Pantera in for that vid :D

chucked

catchaser said:
I would think you'd be faster than 38 with that setup. My Eight-T has always run at 42ish with it's current setup. The Rampage feels like it's running the same speed. I'll get my son to race me on the street a few times when he gets outta school and see for sure.
Also:

I think you mentioned in another post you had gears melting. Are your gears meshing free still?

Was your porting the optional DDM porting or was it a ESP port?

So that's a 35mm bore and non stroked crank. Is it a stuffed or nonstuffed crank?

Stock flywheel or lightened flywheel?

Are you running low drag seals?

You running the TT rims still? I do as they're much lighter than anything for the 5B.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to gather comparison info.
Since Ive upgraded to the alum gear plate I havent had a problem. All I have is the top end, DDM porting, everything else is stock. Im also running proline rims and tires. The stock redcat rims would break if I looked at it wrong.

Clubin

Banned
I love the way the Dominator pipes make power, far superior power to any other pipe I have ever ran. Great tunes. Awsome way to give it a cleaning.

Well done.

kryptonite

DAMN!! that thing staight rips!!. love the water runs cant belive that thing flying around like that. there isnt a 5b that could hang with that.

im trying to watch it again but its not coming up..

DemonRC

chucked said:
Since Ive upgraded to the alum gear plate I havent had a problem. All I have is the top end, DDM porting, everything else is stock. Im also running proline rims and tires. The stock redcat rims would break if I looked at it wrong.
I've had good luck with my stock rims. I've cartwheeled the crap outta it and nose dived it a buncha times so far. Maybe they changed the plastic in the later versions like they did for the arms. Oh, I also boiled mine before I even ran it.

Clubin said:
I love the way the Dominator pipes make power, far superior power to any other pipe I have ever ran. Great tunes. Awsome way to give it a cleaning.
Well done.
I had the rear and side dom on my Baja. I liked the side alot more. It was really smooth. This one seems to really hit hard like the JP3 except at a much lower RPM range.

kryptonite said:
DAMN!! that thing staight rips!!. love the water runs cant belive that thing flying around like that. there isnt a 5b that could hang with that.
im trying to watch it again but its not coming up..
Ya I had the Baja gutted and now I'm putting it back together to sell it to get another Rampage. Rampage is a great car.

Try this Vimeo link. I think the blip.tv is having server problems right now.

http://www.vimeo.com/3681817

kryptonite

oh my. just watched again... simply perfect!! the water roosters makes it even better. you definatly held that red truck off. "LIKE A BLOOD STAINED HURRICANE"

how much of that is the pipe? or is it that crazy combo you have with the mill.

DemonRC

I think it's 1/2 engine 1/2 pipe. I've had stock 28.5's with great pipe's like the side dom and GBE side bleed run just as good as decked-out-race-ported-balls-to-the-wall engines with a stock SS pipe.

Rob just told me he is sending me the MCD 30/30 gears instead of the Redcat 29/31's. I'll get another vid with the DS engine with 30/30. Then I'll throw a stock 28.5 in there and get another vid with that combo. I have a feeling the stock 28.5 will run great.

chucked

I think for my next engine Ill get the 28.5 race port, ceramic bearings, low drag seals, stuffed stock stroke crank. Does this sound good??

DemonRC

kryptonite said:
that would be awsome if you did that. would like to see what it does. i have alway bought the non-ported 28.5
I'll have the gears in this weekend and will make sure to test it with my stock 29 that came with the Rampage.

chucked said:
I think for my next engine Ill get the 28.5 race port, ceramic bearings, low drag seals, stuffed stock stroke crank. Does this sound good??
Sounds like a plan. Also, one thing that you missed was a lightened flywheel. For $39 it's a pretty good buy since it's not really a wear and tear part that you have to trash after a certain amount of runtime. If my engine blew up right now and I had a stock engine and only had cash for 1 upgrade I would do the lightened flywheel first. That's just me though. Alot of guys swear by the stuffed cranks and would shoot for them first.

DemonRC

kryptonite said:
i was just looking on ddm for the fly wheel. do you lose any power with it? and how noticable is the rpm gain?
Here ya go:

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.1361/.f

You can see a slight improvement in acceleration and top end. Less rotating mass helps the engine rev faster and higher. Since the fins are dam near 1/2 the size after machining, less air resistance is also helping it rev higher. It's almost the equivelent as dropping prop pitch and/or size for aircraft. Airflow is still enough to cool the engine. You do have to watch a DS head at idle though since the shroud doesn't direct enough airflow over the head. Traditional heads with full shrouds will be fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts