• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Could it be spark plug?

ChuenouXiao

rcgasser said:
Now that i am not that all sure on I know that it does have to have the right spacing from the fly wheel in order to get the fire from the spark plug for the engine to run.
So I assume when we pull the pull start, the flywheel spins and somehow makes contact with coil and send electric charge to the coil wire to the spark plug? :D :(

cordy

The space(gap) between the coil and the flywheel should be thethickness of a credit card.Put a credit card between the coil and flywheel and tighten the two bolts. Take the credit card out then. The credit card acts like a feeler gauage.I cant remember the exact spaceing (.020). The credit card will get you in the ball park.Also look in the manual of the motor it will show you the location of the ciol on the motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

rcgasser

Ok sound good to me I will go for that there is magnetic in the fly wheel and your ignition coil should be spaced about a business card thickness away and yes that send the charge.

ChuenouXiao

cordy said:
The space(gap) between the coil and the flywheel should be thethickness of a credit card.Put a credit card between the coil and flywheel and tighten the two bolts. Take the credit card out then. The credit card acts like a feeler gauage.I cant remember the exact spaceing (.020). The credit card will get you in the ball park.Also look in the manual of the motor it will show you the location of the ciol on the motor.
So the spacing should be the thickness of a credit card? I see its labeled number 40 in the manual and its called the L ignitor. So I have to make sure the screws are set and space like then thickness of a credit card?

rcgasser

I use a business card for the thickness but behind the bolts should be a spacer also so check and make sure that they are there and in place and the bolts are tight.

ChuenouXiao

At 4:12 of video displays the inner portion of engine...... this is what you guys are talking about? By the way... i have to truly take it apart to truly see what you mean. I don't even know where to measure the thickness :(

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFHlwC4wgQo[/ame]

rcgasser

cordy said:
Thanks for the clarification.

Deluge

The coil provides the spark, the spark plug delivers it.

This vid covers coil installation and setting the gap.

[ame]

[/ame]

ChuenouXiao

rcgasser said:
well really just the side where the pull start is you want have to break the engine down.
I know, I guess I just have to check the screws of the L ignition and the spacing.... I guess I have to simply verify that its still mounted correctly even though I don't know what is correctly :D :( I will see when I open it up! Thanks RCGASSER & CORDY & DELUGE!!

cordy

4:20 of the video shows the black coil sitting above the flywheel on the right side . The black wire from the spark plug goes to the coil. There are two little wires(a red,and black)that go from the coil to the kill switch.Make shure these two little wires are not grounded(bare wires(insulation wore off)touching metal. The two bolts holding the coil (when loosened let you raise or lower the coil.When the bolts are loose slip you credit or business card between the coil and flywheel,the card should just barely slide in and out when you tighten the two bolts.The coil times the engine,coils can go bad(break down internaly). Hopes this helps.

ChuenouXiao

cordy said:
4:20 of the video shows the black coil sitting above the flywheel on the right side . The black wire from the spark plug goes to the coil. There are two little wires(a red,and black)that go from the coil to the kill switch.Make shure these two little wires are not grounded(bare wires(insulation wore off)touching metal. The two bolts holding the coil (when loosened let you raise or lower the coil.When the bolts are loose slip you credit or business card between the coil and flywheel,the card should just barely slide in and out when you tighten the two bolts.The coil times the engine,coils can go bad(break down internaly). Hopes this helps.
I took it apart and did the credit card spacing successfully. I even clean debris from the magnet from the flywheel and everywhere around where dust is collecting. Put everything together and still no start :(

ImminentFailure

Have you tested that you are still even getting a spark now that it's clean and your flywheel gap is good? Should be able see it sparking following the standard method to test the plug outside the engine.

Carb could be shot, could be something worse inside the engine itself. IF you fill the primer bulb, and shut all your needles (turn to full closed) does it empty the bulb as you pull to start it? Don't forget how many turns in you have to make to close them so you can return to last tune if it doesn't help.

Have you checked your killswitch. I Assume you have one because these things shouldn't be operated without it. IF that's preventing spark, could explain no spark when you do a spark test.

cordy

On the front of the carb there is a little plate with two screws. This is a breather, make shure its not cloged with dirt.

ChuenouXiao

ImminentFailure said:
Have you tested that you are still even getting a spark now that it's clean and your flywheel gap is good? Should be able see it sparking following the standard method to test the plug outside the engine. Carb could be shot, could be something worse inside the engine itself. IF you fill the primer bulb, and shut all your needles (turn to full closed) does it empty the bulb as you pull to start it? Don't forget how many turns in you have to make to close them so you can return to last tune if it doesn't help.

Have you checked your killswitch. I Assume you have one because these things shouldn't be operated without it. IF that's preventing spark, could explain no spark when you do a spark test.
I'm a noob and am afraid to test the spark because I've heard of horror story of someone becoming paralyze from testing spark from a small engine . Any video tips online you can show me to do this properly without getting kill?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts