• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Could it be spark plug?

ChuenouXiao

Hey Racers!

I've manage to rebuild my differential and replaced my out drive cup! I started the engine up as normal. Ran it back and forth on the street.... then pfff...... the engine just died on me? I tried to start it over and over and over! It wouldn't start! Here is a pix of my spark plug! I'm thinking about replacing it cause it's most likely it? Since I am replacing the spark plug, where should I get my new spark plug? At Home depot? What brand? Special specification?

Deluge

Hit it with some carb spray and see if that helps. Sometimes they just need to cleaned. You should get some spare plugs, though. An NGK CMR7H or a Champion RZ7C will work. If you have a Lowes nearby, they should carry the Champion plug.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeffp83

The ignition coil bolts could have come loose, this has happened to me before and prevented it from starting.

ChuenouXiao

Deluge said:
Hit it with some carb spray and see if that helps. Sometimes they just need to cleaned. You should get some spare plugs, though. An NGK CMR7H or a Champion RZ7C will work. If you have a Lowes nearby, they should carry the Champion plug.
Thank you so much Deluge for responding to everyone of my post!!! I'm very thankful for your sir! THANK YOU!!!!!! (So do you mean clean my spark plug with carb spray? What brand and where?)

Deluge

chuefengxiong said:
Thank you so much Deluge for responding to everyone of my post!!! I'm very thankful for your sir! THANK YOU!!!!!! (So do you mean clean my spark plug with carb spray? What brand and where?)
Yep. Just get a can of carb spray from any auto parts store. You can get some from Autozone for about $4. Then spray the plug until the most of the oil build up is gone. If you have an old toothbrush, you can use it to scrub the heavier stuff. I've saved quite a few plugs this way.

rcgasser

The ignition coil is right on top of your fly wheel just remove the fly wheel cover and ther are 2 bolts at the top that holds your ignition coil.

ChuenouXiao

rcgasser said:
The ignition coil is right on top of your fly wheel just remove the fly wheel cover and ther are 2 bolts at the top that holds your ignition coil.
Is it on the engine near the carburetor? Above the fly wheel (You mean the crown gear sitting at center that gives power to all wheels?) Do you have a pix?

rcgasser

No behind your pull start what you use to start the engine then there is a cover behind that that has to come off then you will see the ignition coil.

ChuenouXiao

rcgasser said:
No behind your pull start what you use to start the engine then there is a cover behind that that has to come off then you will see the ignition coil.
So once i take off the pull start i will see the ignition coil? When it comes off is it easily replaceable? Should it still be there even though its came lose?

rcgasser

Check to see if the bolts are lose also there are spacers behind the coil that breaks that will make the coil not set right on the flywheel.

ChuenouXiao

rcgasser said:
Check to see if the bolts are lose also there are spacers behind the coil that breaks that will make the coil not set right on the flywheel.
What does the coil do? It sparks? Can you explain to me what it's job is?

rcgasser

Now that i am not that all sure on I know that it does have to have the right spacing from the fly wheel in order to get the fire from the spark plug for the engine to run.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts