• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Copper gasket

Kaz the Minotaur

Does anyone use a copper head gasket? Is it necessary to also use RTV gasket maker with the copper gasket?

jigawatt

I found out the hard way that it will not seal... would have been nice if ddm stated that you need to seal it with something else!

so does the RTV go on top and below the gasket?

I'm almost at the point where I don't want to hear the bad news of having to tear off the head again :(

Last edited by a moderator:

kryptonite

i use the copper gaskit sealer as well. but don't need it for the blue gaskits. so yes jiga. you will need to pull that head couse it will leak eventually

jigawatt

I think I'll happily go back to blue gaskets. Copper gaskets were nothing but problems in the long run on cars/trucks, I can only imagine the same for the buggy.

So I asked DDM why they don't say anything about needing or even suggesting RTV, their response "Actually some people prefer to not use it... it is not absolutely necessary, but many people (like you) certainly prefer it."

Me mentioning that it is obvious how bad the leak is without anything but a copper gasket... response to that "High temp gasket sealant is a good idea." Spiffy, now put that information on the website ;)

Edit - ready to tear it apart... starting friday mornin once I get to where I'm takin her for the weekend! I had no clue how important it was to have multiple colors of the same grade RTV. Whatever, red makes it faster.

Last edited by a moderator:

98cruiser

jigawatt said:
I think I'll happily go back to blue gaskets. Copper gaskets were nothing but problems in the long run on cars/trucks, I can only imagine the same for the buggy. So I asked DDM why they don't say anything about needing or even suggesting RTV, their response "Actually some people prefer to not use it... it is not absolutely necessary, but many people (like you) certainly prefer it."

Me mentioning that it is obvious how bad the leak is without anything but a copper gasket... response to that "High temp gasket sealant is a good idea." Spiffy, now put that information on the website ;)

Edit - ready to tear it apart... starting friday mornin once I get to where I'm takin her for the weekend! I had no clue how important it was to have multiple colors of the same grade RTV. Whatever, red makes it faster.
No wonder why my truck didnt start after replacing with a copper gasket, well since I have just install a ESP ported 30.5 with 2mm stiffer crank kit, ill put some RTV seal on my copper gasket, just rebuilt the motor but didnt put it in the truck yet, so im glad my friend Harold showed me this link before puting it in the truck!

jeffp83

I read somewhere that if you anneal the copper first, it creates a good seal without using any sealants. Get yourself a blow torch and give it a try :)

98cruiser

Deluge said:
Anneal it, scuff it and use some Permatex copper spray.
So should I use the permatex or ATV seal, or what ever its called

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts