• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

considering rampage or 5t??

considering rampage or 5t??

• Hpi 5T

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rampage MT5

• other model

• save tax return and buy something else

• Total voters

nitro_newbie

with tax season getting close i took the liberty of doing my taxes early and i am getting a big chunk of change back from the gov. so i always wanted a 1/5th scale rc to keep my MMM maxx company. just i don't know which i should get. the rampage looks great! its 4wd and looks tough but i dunno about the 5t it just looks sweet the way it was designed and built. and my LHS has HPI stuff in stock most of the time. so i was wondering if it was worth getting a rampage now with a DSM radio from rampagehopups.com or just saving more cash and getting the 5T from the LHS. i really don't air my trucks out that high but i do jump them. i just don't want to have to sink tons of money into it to get it reliable. something that is good stock but can be upgraded. and how is the aftermarket and parts support for the rampage? are they hard to find?

thnaks again!

Nitro_newbie

Neverhappy

Clubin said:
You are in the wrong place to get any support for anyting other than a Redcat. Supprised I voted Rampage. lol
LOL. :p Clubin you sure get to the point!! I voted redcat rampage also. for the money you are going to put out for the 5t you could have a soild rampage you can also change the body to make it look like a 5t and it would be 4x4. The best of both worlds I would say!!!

kryptonite

this should be funny, the first person who votes for a 5t should be banned for life!! jk.. its a common question, but wrong place. if it was me and i had 1300.00 i wouldnt get the mt:eek: :eek: don't shoot!! i would get 2-tt's and still have a bucks to smooth over wifey with, couse she will be piiised!!!

RampageHopUps

I voted Redcat MT5. I have several of each, and they have their good and bad. I sell both as well, and they have thier good and bad that way. Some of my 5T customers call back and say they were at the dunes and were doing the same stuff on the HPI videos and think they got a lemon. It only lasted 20 minutes before the clutch burned out.

Read along and make sure you can handle the upgrades we talk about. The Redcat needs some work out of the box, but its worth it after a few bashing runs.

nitro_newbie

well the rampage is cheaper than the 5b and 5t and with what I save I can get a good steering servo and radio. But what upgrades are you guys talking about? Can you link me to them. I would only want to do what is neccesary to make it hold up. I know that coming here that everyone would be rampage but I know that some of you have both. So I guess rampage seems to be best bang for the buck. And rob do you have any mt5 that are rtr?? Only see artr.

mooman007uk

Banned
the rampage gets my vote too..of course.

A few of the ramp needed upgrades are free check out the pre run thread, the upgrade kit is $50 and has bigger diff pins and a bunch of other parts...super value, then it's up to you and your wallet...bear in mind upgrades are relatively cheap compared to other brands, phatdad shock shafts are good to have, top end kit, servos. All this can be done for the cost of a 5t before you add the needed upgrades...remember it's just a 5b with a new dress on. I'm personally not a 5b fan...they're great in dunes as that's what they're made for, the 5t looks cool but is it worth $500 more...nope!

I think there's only been one unhappy rampage owner here on this forum and he's buying a 5t...don't think he'll like that anymore than his rampage cos it'll break too.

Piranha2

Contributor
I've had my Rampage MT for 5 days now and I already put in the 28.5cc head kit, the aluminum gear plate, upgraded springs, vented clutch bell and still have another $100 in parts that still need to be installed. I am hundreds away from a "G" and this truck will be sick! Rob (www.rampagehopups.com) has hooked me up with everything I need and I have received so much advice and technical info from the great group of guys here. As far as the truck stock......I plowed into an ice banking at full throttle and she just bounced right off it. We broke her in for all of 3 minutes and thrashed her but good. Snow, gravel, jumps.....she's had a hard week and we have not had one issue. Get the RAMPAGE, consult with ROB and listen to these GUYS.

prostock

Ok, I think they are both good like Rob said but it depends?

For bashing and over all fun get the Rampage; for all the racing poping up get the 5T. If your club has a 4WD class or will let you run with the 2WD class the Rampages wins the battle. (you know how I voted)

Or better yet get them both; problem solved. I love my Rampage and I can't wait for the warm weather to get here!

BRC

nitro_newbie

thanks. I can't get both because the Gf will kill me! I go to glamos a lot which is he sand so I wanted something good for that and park bashing. I think I will get the rampage as it seems more versitale for all terrains. What steering servo would you guys reccomend??

Piranha2

Contributor
My .02 is a 5T wouldn't be able to follow me here in the Northeast.....I looked at one in my LHS and was less than impressed at what $1300 got you (I paid less than half that)......well, it does have a nice $250 body! But I need 4X4 !!!!

kun114

I voted 5t for the hell of it, but I see I'm not the first. I can't comment on the 5t because I don't have one, but I do know I like my Rampage better than my 5b.

Maybe the 5t is a better choice for you if your going to be a sand dune guy.

Sprint 77

Contributor
With the Rampage you will have a lote of bones left over for some cool upgrades. You put the cost of a HPI 5T into a rampage you will have one sick truck that no one could catch.

Bryan 70546

kun114 said:
I voted 5t for the hell of it, but I see I'm not the first. I can't comment on the 5t because I don't have one, but I do know I like my Rampage better than my 5b.
Maybe the 5t is a better choice for you if your going to be a sand dune guy.
I voted 5T . its just a baja SS with a truck body and you cant beat a baja for the dunes i am sure the rampage will do fine on the dunes but once you start jumping it i just don't see it lasting long. I love my rampage it a whole lotta 1/5 for a lot less then most .But I also would never get rid of my baja .A 5T is next it just a awesome machine. with a huge aftermarket support . They both have there places I guess . I just think the 5T would be better for the dunes.

mooman007uk

Banned
I've got 4 paddles to throw on with the vertigo extended adapters to run at a newly discovered sand pit near me:D so we'll be able to see how the mt goes pretty soon...as for jumping I can testify and others have seen how a mt can jump...I have set up a real big air jump in my yard now the snow has gone...vid will be posted sometime this weekend...my freshly repaired mt is in for another thrashing:eek:

kryptonite

nitro_newbie said:
thanks. I can't get both because the Gf will kill me! I go to glamos a lot which is he sand so I wanted something good for that and park bashing. I think I will get the rampage as it seems more versitale for all terrains. What steering servo would you guys reccomend??
so your upgrades could go many ways depending on your bashing style everybody has done many diffrent things. some go for bullit proof and others go for performance;with upgrade kit and servos it is reliable. upgrade kit is free when you buy from http://www.rampagehopups.com/main.sc;jsessionid=0CFC0181310570FF4513C1FB3C06A7EC.qscstrfrnt04 . i think the basics to have on hand is http://www.rampagehopups.com/product.sc?categoryId=5&productId=311 . a good 300oz stearing servo would be nice and a basic throttle servo will be fine. evrything else depends on how hard you are on it. i went with aluminum suspension just to be safe but alot are still running plastic. with no issues. upgrade kit comes with 4 extra suspension arms. if you run at glammis, we have hpi wheeel adapters so you can run paddles wich would be insane!! but its just like any other. keep in mind the huge wheels are really heavy, it makes the low end lag worse, but is easly fixed with a headkit and/or pipe.

i made a wish list for you as if was spending "your" money. hope you don't mind:rolleyes:NOTE: you don't NEED all this stuff! but this is stuff you MAY buy weather you got a 5t or mt.

-3pm radio,$109 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGAG2**&P=0

-stearing servo, $84 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAAD4&P=0

-throttle servo,$35 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUZ89&P=0

-28.5cc headkit, $76 http://www.rampagehopups.com/product.sc?categoryId=5&productId=297

(not the best,but better)X-can,$79 http://www.rampagehopups.com/product.sc?categoryId=5&productId=324

mt5 $759, http://www.rampagehopups.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=347

upgrade kit, free with purchese! http://www.rampagehopups.com/product.sc?categoryId=6&productId=364

your savings would be $541 and you would have a straight up 5t "killer".. and to make your girly forget all about your little purchase, i find this works well.. http://www.kay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product1%7C10101%7C10001%7C-1%7C110461302%7C15055%7C15055.15094.15461

SORRY FOR ALL THE LINKS, WAS VERY BORED.. :eek:

drillerman

Get the hitec 5745 mg . You'll love your new rampage. I am way impressed with mine. they are a real animal! I look forward to more blue stuff coming in soon.. Later , Jared

chucked

I voted 5t because the reliability beats redcat 10 fold, you need to spend another $500 on the redcat off that bat to even get it half decent

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.