• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Color of the spark?

Dreggsta

this is what they said: "Send us a picture of the wires (especially a close up of both ends) and the lengths. Our technical team can look to see if we can reproduce them as HotWires."

sanos

You guys are talking about replacing the spark plug wires with msd? How can you do this when the stock coil with the spark plug wire is built as one piece?

vpalace

You can change the wire on the coil,

Some have done it. Hopefully someone will chime in and explain how to do this.

BoostCreepr

Its a pretty straight forward process. once you remove the coil from the motor, they claim you just "untwist" the coil wire out of the coil... not really the case for me. in the bottom of the hole that the coil wire is in, there is a screw comming through that yes.. you screw the wire down into to make contact but for me at least it was glued in. I twisted and twisted until the wire finally broke off. I had to use tweezers and an xacto knife to get all the insulation out of the hole enough so that i could twist the new wire into the hole. My MSD wire came with a peice of heatshrink that had glue inside, so when you shrink it down it seals itself to the wire and the connector. It can be a pain to get out but well worth it in the end.

sanos

Well, right now I have a new RRXB with a dead ignition coil. A ****ing new toy with a dead heart! This fukken SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, just venting a little...

Dreggsta

no problem! vent! that's part of what forums are for. then after you vent, you fix it & help others w/the same problem. :)

hey boost, you said the wire is exposed where it screws into the coil? so obviously the plug wire has a boot on one end for the plug but the other end where it connects to the coil is just raw? does it like like the ends in the pic in this link? http://www.tgndistributing.com/hp-plug-wire.html

i like the heat shrink trick.

Motakitty

Dreggsta

thanks mota. i was just gonna let jeff over at nology know but the pics are great. i'm sending them to them now. hopefully this is a cheap affair lol. big thumbs up mota. ;)

Motakitty

Dreggsta said:
thanks mota. i was just gonna let jeff over at nology know but the pics are great. i'm sending them to them now. hopefully this is a cheap affair lol. big thumbs up mota. ;)
Your welcome. Switching the wire is really easy but I did just buy a new zen coil to put the msd wire on. The stock redcat wire was glued in and came out hard but it will be worth it

Dreggsta

i might need a pic of the coil post too. lol does it give any info on the zen coil? mota?

hey v, it's a one & done kinda deal. anything to add powa right? i noticed a crisper response on my 800lb single thumper atv w/the capacitated wire. not to mention better mpg's. it wasn't mind blowing but i could tell. it'd be interesting to see if it'd any more noticeable on these much lighter singles. why not? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

vpalace

Thanks for the links. I may have to give it a try when up and running again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts