• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Color of the spark?

sanos

I just got my XB and having trouble starting it for the first time. I've checked if the spark plug is sparking and it is. But the color of the spark is a dull orange in color. I've read somewhere that it is supposed to be bluish in color. So I'm thinking my spark is too weak to fire up the motor...So to verify with everyone, what color is the spark supposed to be?

cordy

Blue is the color.Read the sugjestions in your first thread,hello everyone.

sanos

So you guys are telling me that the spark plug is bad already. The frikkin car is new!

Thanks for the replies, I will check the coil gap.

sanos

I guess it wont hurt to buy new plugs. They're cheap enough. But, what about the coil itself. Could the coil be bad also in not generating enough crankin power?

Dreggsta

why would you wanna run an el cheapo plug in your high $$$ investment? put something good in there. it's like $2.50 (+/-) for an ngk plug man. as for the coil. it should be fine. i'm still running on my stock coils in my 2 xt's. :)

thank gasser! i wasn't sure off the top of my head. lmao :)

rcgasser

Your coil should be good I would try the plug first then go from there.

G

Magneto style coils don't generate the type of power that regular coils do.

I would say if you can see spark the coil is fine. Install a better plug and get your carb set.

sanos

Well, I bought the NGK CMR7H plug form Autozone and tried it. I get no spark on this plug.

I went check again on the stock plug and I see the faint dull orange sparks. Why am I seeing a little spark on the stock spark plug and no spark on the NGK spark plug. So it's got to be a bad coil not generating enough power to get that bluish spark. What else can it be?

So I went to the Redcat Racing site and filed a warranty claim for a bad coil.

Dreggsta

that couldvery well be but it's not a prob i hear about a lot. what kind of arc are you getting from the plug wire?

BoostCreepr

I would recommend getting the MSD wire as well. its HUGE compared to the stock wire and you will get that huge spark. Also, if you have had any water on your cat then check your magnets and the bottom of the coil, mine had some surface rust i had to sand off. Good Luck.

Dreggsta

hey boost, you wanna see a real difference in spark. put a capacitated plug wire on. the coil it uses is the same as stock. nology sells them. i had one on my atv & that sucker would arc over an inch i kid you not.

Motakitty

Would one of those wires work? I had them on one of my real cars and liked em alot. I did get the msd wire though

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreggsta

they just emailed me back asking for pics of both ends of the plug wire.

i'm a see if i can find a pic or if anyone has one or the msd wire p/n put it up.

Dreggsta

sanos said:
Anyone ever used these spark testers? I might just get one.
yeh man, that's what we used when we tested the nology coil & wire. the coil wasn't anything special as it's spark was just like the stock coil. but w/the nology capacitated wire we max'ed out the distance & it was a very strong arc. go ahead & get one. it's a handy tool.

Motakitty

That nology wire would be hella long though but would be nice to have. I completely forgot about them when I got my msd wire

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts