• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

colman cooking fuel in gas motor?!

alfred e numan

Made the trip to Tri-cities yesterday- 80 mile- got a suzuki swift- last fall, sips the fuel. Anyway i went to a hobby town- shock-diff oil - fuelfilter, I asked the guy- Any 1/5 gas tracks? sez no, the hpi guys go to the dunes. started talking about how conaco is phasing out the ethanol junk- and the salesmans replied- I run coleman camp fuel at 17.5 to 1. ME- HUHH?? he sez its a low compresson engine- runs better. ME- really?- no bull-sh#*? he seemed for real - Thing is i thought, this camp fuel must only be 50-60 octane- if it did rattle- how could ya hear it with the exhaust noise? - I will stick to non-ethanol gasoline - car-truck-even the craftsman lawnmower and weedeater. --- any opinions out there??

countstevula

Contributor
I have used white fuel from Coleman in a King Motor 23cc buggy....it ran great and was not so smelly during use and on the drive home. It will work great but I think you're right about the Octane...some of the real hardcore 1/5 scalers won't use it because of that. I mixed it 25:1 too

G

That's different. :confused:

Isn't Coleman fuel a form of kerosine, which is fuel oil #1. Diesel is fuel oil #2. Kerosine has lower btu's than diesel and less lubricating properties than diesel. I'm not sure how it compares to gasoline. I would think the btu's (energy) is lower than gasoline. I think they would use cause they like how it smells:D

G

Here ya go.

Jet fuel is kerosene, which is a heavier fraction in the distillation process than Gasoline is. It isn't just "higher octane," although you could probably assign an octane rating to it. It's heavier hydrocarbons which would not work in a gasoline engine.

In many countries, you can buy kerosene for use in Diesel engines. (Kerosene falls between gasoline and diesel in the refining process)

Anyhow, the functional difference is that kerosene is made of larger molecules which require higher pressures and temperatures to fully combust than does gasoline, and which have a higher energy density than does gasoline. While you could probably design a jet engine to run on gasoline, it probably wouldn't have the same level of power, and it would have to carry more fuel to go the same distance.

Different types of jet fuel are different mixtures of kerosene with particular properties, weights, or additives. You could not run a gasoline engine on jet fuel (it wouldn't combust completely, if it did at all, it would gum up the engine with carbon and crud pretty quick if it did run), but you could probably run a diesel engine on it.

Aviation GASOLINE is more similar to automotive gasoline, it just tends to have a higher octane rating. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rati…

Aviation gas is NOT the same as jet fuel.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/oil-ref…

alfred e numan

fuel topic and a story

years ago, every one called colman camp-lantern fuel " white gas" I recall a trip in utah - dirt road from bullfrog marina to page Az- miscaculated our fuel bigtime- had to dump 2 gallons of white gas into 1/8 thank of gasoline- slant 6 dodge with single barrel holly- hi altude to boot- we made it to page, truck felt like i pulled half the plugs out. Yea-- was into pumped up tt 500s dirt bikes yearsago- 11/5 to 1 compresson- long stroke - kick like a mule if ya started them wrong- pure av gas would hurt top end power- rough on seals too, burned too slow- best mixed 50/50 with automotive petrol, Bikers at work were calling my Yamaha a rice rocket- I said - yea it is - but none of you got the balls to start it, well at morning break they mounted up on my hi compresson rice burner- i explained the compresson release- it had a 36mm dellorto with a accelator pump, if you moved the throttle while rolling over the beast - it would kick back like a Tennesee mule! No one started it- I said- had enough? then i mounted up and lit it up wearing tennis shoes. They had a new found respect for the 150 lb co-worker- we got along great- they even rented there ol-lady to me to clean my house, she was a good cook too!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts