• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Choke and HSN and LSN Question

mvaughn12

Ok I've ran my vehicle thru a few tanks and I want to tune it. I see the 2 needles for tuning but the directions show a different engine than the one installed. Question my 2 needles are side by side ..... Which is which? is the HSN on the left or right? also I've noticed when I start it my choke has to stay at 1/2 to 3/4 on for it to continue to run or even start it. Is this normal? Forgive me if this seems like a stupid question, but this is my first gasser. LOL I can tune and Nitro with my eyes close and never had to use a choke on a nitro. LOL any help you guys could give me on tuning this engine I'd really appreciate it. :)

mvaughn12

Thanks for the video so essentially the choke is not needed for this engine I can just adjust the H an L needle for proper starting and running

Mycbr6rr

mvaughn12 said:
Thanks for the video so essentially the choke is not needed for this engine I can just adjust the H an L needle for proper starting and running
Yes except ,normally you will use the choke to start it when it's cold ,let it idle for like 20 sec or so and then turn choke off and it should stay running

BertR

Yep. I yank the choke handle off the small carbs.. that video is proof you don't need one if you have the needles set just right..but is nice to have on rare occasions.

mvaughn12

Just of Curiosity how many of you guys are running stock setting on your carbs?? and if you changed them how much on your HSN and LSN did you change? I know each engine is different but I'm just curious

mvaughn12

Thanks Rampage I knew this, lol I was just curious has anyone had to do much adjusting on these. doesn't look like much adjusting is needed. But i'm noticing a bit it's seems to be trying to shut off when I brake sometimes. I was trying to equate the adjustment of this issue to my 1/8 scales where I would adjust the idle needle. But I'm not seeing that here So i'm trying to see if it could be my throttle linkage possibly

Last edited by a moderator:

mvaughn12

Deluge said:
I always tune by plug color.Here are some examples of plug colors and the causes:

Two Stroke Plug Patterns
I like that concept the Wet fouled is my issue with the spark plug i just swapped out and right now my HSN is set a factory so it may need to be leaned out a little more? I watched the one video in the other thread and it seems that Only the HSN is the main one used for tuning more the the LSN

Deluge

Bump up the idle a bit. Sounds like when you brake the throttle plate closes too much and chokes it a little. The throttle linkage wouldn't cause that issue, because it only closes as far as the idle screw will allow.

mvaughn12

Deluge said:
Bump up the idle a bit. Sounds like when you brake the throttle plate closes too much and chokes it a little. The throttle linkage wouldn't cause that issue, because it only closes as far as the idle screw will allow.
I did the Idle up adjustment via my transmitter ( FS-iT4 ) and it still seems to try to shut off so should I manually bump up the idle via the HSN needle?

Deluge

mvaughn12 said:
I like that concept the Wet fouled is my issue with the spark plug i just swapped out and right now my HSN is set a factory so it may need to be leaned out a little more? I watched the one video in the other thread and it seems that Only the HSN is the main one used for tuning more the the LSN
Yep, lean out the HSN. You want to do a high speed run and kill the engine before it tries to idle, that'll give you an accurate reading of where your high end is at. The LSN basically handles the acceleration and should be tuned after the HSN has been dialed in.

mvaughn12

Deluge said:
Yep, lean out the HSN. You want to do a high speed run and kill the engine before it tries to idle, that'll give you an accurate reading of where your high end is at. The LSN basically handles the acceleration and should be tuned after the HSN has been dialed in.
THanks Dude that Helps Alot!!! LOl I see some concepts for tuning on the 1/8 scale are tossed out the door when running these guys. LOL I feel just Like a NOOBIE all Over Again!!! LOL thanks again!! :)

Deluge

mvaughn12 said:
I did the Idle up adjustment via my transmitter ( FS-iT4 ) and it still seems to try to shut off so should I manually bump up the idle via the HSN needle?
That would be the LSN. Might be a bit rich. Lean it out about a 16th of a turn and see if that helps.

rampage idiot

Deluge said:
That would be the LSN. Might be a bit rich. Lean it out about a 16th of a turn and see if that helps.
I agree too rich on the LSN will definitely cause stalling, do what Deluge said and get the HSN set then worry about the Low side

G

mvaughn12 said:
Thanks Rampage I knew this, lol I was just curious has anyone had to do much adjusting on these. doesn't look like much adjusting is needed. But i'm noticing a bit it's seems to be trying to shut off when I brake sometimes. I was trying to equate the adjustment of this issue to my 1/8 scales where I would adjust the idle needle. But I'm not seeing that here So i'm trying to see if it could be my throttle linkage possibly
It could be the linkage. When engine is idling, make sure the throttle lever is resting on the idle stop screw. If it's not, the idle will drop lower when you brake.

mvaughn12

RCDAD said:
It could be the linkage. When engine is idling, make sure the throttle lever is resting on the idle stop screw. If it's not, the idle will drop lower when you brake.
Forgive my ingnorance but I'm not understanding what you actually mean by making sure the throttle lever is resting on the idle stop screw I'm trying to visualize this and not seeing it.

rcgasser

The throttle leaver is the lever that is below you H and L needles it moves as you give it gas or brake the bottom of the lever should rest on the idle screw. If you have adjusted the linkage or the trim button on the radio to far up then the lever will not rest on the idle screw. I hope I was able to clear this up some.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts