• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Chimera steering servo

Dieselaw

Well my steering servo is going out, i lost most of the ability to turn right. I was ready for this and have my steering servo on hand. I started looking into replacing it and it looks like it is a pretty serious tear down, and it involves removing the throttle servo. I was just looking for any advice from any of u chimera owners before i tear into it. And for reference i got the Hitec 5765 servo. Thx for any advice or tips.

topblissgt

Replaced both the servos on my son's chimera recently. Hitech HS-645mg for the throttle and hitech HS-805bb for the steering. Was not that bad. Had everything apart for sure. Did have to slightly modify the mount for the steering servo due to its huge size. Now they work great.

Phill

I'm toying with putting a 5765 in my DR

Would like to hear how it goes

I've replaced the steering servo once with another stocker - not a hard job.

Just remove the mount from underneath and lift it out.

No need to take the throttle servo out of the mount. (on a DR anyway)

Dieselaw

Im hoping the Hitec 5765 is a pretty straight forward swap. It looks like it slides out of the side, and the throttle servo is on top of the compartment. Might pull the bottom plate and access it from the side. I will keep u guys in the loop, at least help out the next guy that does it. Thx!

Dieselaw

Well, it was pretty easy to get to the servo. Removed the plastic trim piece that is on the edge of the main skid plate. Then it was 4 bolts to loosen the servo, and another two to remove a small retaining bracket. I pulled the servo out and went to put the 5765 in. I put the new aluminum horn/arm to connect to the arm that moves the wheels, and the horn/arm doesn't have the right configuration. Guess i will call tomorrow and see what the hobby shop says.

topblissgt

may have to drill out the hole larger on the arm or switch out to the arm that comes with the new servo

Dieselaw

Yes, i had to drill out the hole. The new servo fit well except the brackets were a little off. Just remember if any one does the install. Install servo, disconnect horn, turn on controller and car, straighten wheels , and attach horn. That will have the servo centered. And use trim to straighten the alignment. Steering feels very snappy, but i blew up 2 diff cups. So waiting on those parts. :(

ndoty

Rather than start a new thread, anyone know the tooth count off hand for the stock servo? I want to get a aluminum servo horn. I know redcat has a kit but i am sure my LHS has a horn.

ndoty

topblissgt said:
stock servo already has an aluminum arm
Mine has a plastic horn. It twists and flexes when you move the wheels.

BertR said:
I believe its a odd ball tooth count off the top of my head it's a 16 or 17 tooth.
Yeah i counted 17 this morning. I am just going to take the servo horn in and match it up.

Dieselaw

Well i fixed the problem. The issue was with the SMALL bracket that attaches the throttle rod to the servo horn. I was getting ready to disassemble, as soon as i loosened the bracket the rod moved more freely. Never would have guessed the fix was that simple. Thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully i can get out and run it this afternoon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts