• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

chassis anodizing?

speedyd

Banned
does anyone know if the ano on the chassis is a hard coat type or is it just for color? i am considering polishing every piece of aluminum on my car (arms,uppers,steering,gear tower,suspension braces,towers,etc) and was wanting to know what if any structurale integrity the chassis coating has.

speedyd

Banned
ive used several methods including oven cleaner, all of them can make the job more difficult if you soak the parts for too long (they will get a white fog that takes a lot of sanding to get out). i will use an automotive d.a. sander with 600 wet/ dry on it and work my way to 1500/ 2000 grit and then buff it out with rubbing compound. it is a very dirty job and it takes forever but the end result is pretty sweet.

kryptonite

my rig is multible difrrent colors with the orange, black and blue ano. i de-ano pretty much everything i have had, but i am kinda tired of polishing. im going to have this one done professionally, but not sure what color. was thinking white. its really chaep too. the guy said he would do a milk crate of parts for $50.00 i build 1:1 suspension parts so this is really nothing. you should look into having it chromed. may not be that bad and would look killer!!

EDIT!!! I don't BUILD ANYTHING!! I MEANT "HE" BUILDS 1:1 SUSPENSION PARTS. LUCKY I CAME ACCROSS THIS AGAIN.

Last edited by a moderator:

Simsy

Allthough not on my rampage but I had my baja reannoed gold look sweet cost me $120AU to do so its not expensive.

speedyd

Banned
i am more interesred in getting everything a nice polished look (i can make aluminum look as good if not better than chrome). but it is a lot of work! I would rather suck the snot out of a dead donkeys nose than wetsand! it doesn't matter if you are polishing a set of wheels for an actuall car or a tiny piece for an rc, it is filthy work. but the end result is amazing. im just concerned with the chassis i don't want to weaken it at all and some types of ano can actually add stiffnes to aluminum.

pipeous

I'd be more worried about threaded parts. taking off ano sometimes lessens the bite for threads or the securing of bearings... I agree though, I used to de ano lots (still do all purple parts, I hate purple). I did a green motor head once using shoe laces to polish in between....

putting a finishing polish on after to keep it from oxidizing helps too. Blue Magic isn't bad. Do you use jeweler's rouge? I've been meaning to do my bike one of these days

kryptonite

pipeous said:
I'd be more worried about threaded parts. taking off ano sometimes lessens the bite for threads or the securing of bearings... I agree though, I used to de ano lots (still do all purple parts, I hate purple). I did a green motor head once using shoe laces to polish in between....
putting a finishing polish on after to keep it from oxidizing helps too. Blue Magic isn't bad. Do you use jeweler's rouge? I've been meaning to do my bike one of these days
i didnt have a problem with parts like the wheel nuts and stuff. but de-anoing shock bodies are diffrent. and a pain

uni-racing

Gas Jocky demonstrated de ano using drano. It took off the colour quiet easily. Make sure to rinse off and dry right away to avoid black oxidizing. He also recommended to tape off the threads and inside using a good quality electric tape. I'll post up pix once all the parts are de anoed.

uni-racing

DSC00238.jpg

I just finished de ano-ing my entire truck. The chassis turned out pretty nicely. With the drano trick Gas Jocky mentioned, just remember to scrub using sos pads under cold running water and dry immediately after swashing your parts in the solution.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts