• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Build It or Buy It?

sirmonte

G

That's a nice engine. The ESP Champ kit is about 100 less. The Gizmo motor is a RCMK which is a 4 bolt. Your HY is only a two. If your confident in building your own, it is rewarding to see it perform. Keep in mind, many have had issues with the head gasket. If you have the time and are on a tighter budget I'd say build your own. If you don't have the time or if the money is not a factor I say let the pros do it and get the Gizmo.

Last edited:

rampage idiot

RCDAD said:
That's a nice engine. The ESP Champ kit is about 100 less. The Gizmo motor is a Zen which is a 4 bolt. Your HY is only a two. If your confident in building your own, it is rewarding to see it perform. Keep in mind, many have had issues with the head gasket. If you have the time and are on a tighter budget I'd say build your own. If you don't have the time or if the money is not a factor I say let the pros do it and get the Gizmo.
exactly what RCDAD said I agree 100% I built my own had a ton of fun and learned alot it runs great but I wanted to try a 4 bolt zen so I bought the gizmo promod zen 30.5 I still have not run it!

G

rampage idiot said:
exactly what RCDAD said I agree 100% I built my own had a ton of fun and learned alot it runs great but I wanted to try a 4 bolt zen so I bought the gizmo promod zen 30.5 I still have not run it!
Same here LOL

It needs to be installed.

-

Ildy666

I also have the 30.5 prolite zen. From gizmo.and haven't ran it yet.but i had head gasket problems with the 2bolts so i went with a 4bolt u cant beat the price.plus the guys at gizmo's are on their game...

sirmonte

Good to know about the 2 bolt thing. Hopefully I will not run into the head gasket problem. The price for the Zen seems good. I mean $239 for 6.25hp :eek: . Then add a pipe, carb, 8k clutch and a belt drive. That would be a blast to drive. I'm sure I would be keeping up with those Losi 5's and Hpi Baja's.

sirmonte

Let me know when you guys start running the motor and how you like it. From the power output I'm sure you guys will be all :) . By the way, what is the stock 30.5cc HY hp at?

G

All the hp numbers you see are normally produced with a tuned pipe. If you throw a good pipe on the factory engine I'm guessing about 3.5. If you run the stock can I'd guess between 2.5 and 3.

sirmonte

RCDAD said:
All the hp numbers you see are normally produced with a tuned pipe. If you throw a good pipe on the factory engine I'm guessing about 3.5. If you run the stock can I'd guess between 2.5 and 3.
Wow. That is a big difference. Even with some upgrades to the stock motor it does not look like I could come close to the stock hp numbers that the zen is putting out. I know that hp is not everything but sure should be fun. Let's say I want to go racing with the Zen motor in my xb. Will it still be able to run in it's class? I am thinking about powerjam 2013. I would really like to go and run and see how it would perform to others.

G

Moving up to a ported engine makes a night and day difference. However, adding a good tuned pipe, will also make the stocker wake up and come to life. It's not the highest hp guy that wins when racing. It's all driving skill. ;)

sirmonte

RCDAD said:
Moving up to a ported engine makes a night and day difference. However, adding a good tuned pipe, will also make the stocker wake up and come to life. It's not the highest hp guy that wins when racing. It's all driving skill. ;)
100% agree. I remember back in the day when I was racing the original tamiya blackfoot (lol, im old) there was the kid that did not have the best upgrades bt far but was kicking everyones butt. Driver skill will play a big part.

G

If you are going to race durability becomes as big a factor as power. Upgrades are needed on any platform. There are a lot of racers that run stock motors in there platform. The CY/HY will produce about the same hp as the Zen in stock form.

rcgasser

sirmonte said:
100% agree. I remember back in the day when I was racing the original tamiya blackfoot (lol, im old) there was the kid that did not have the best upgrades bt far but was kicking everyones butt. Driver skill will play a big part.
+1 on that most racers don't want to have the highest HP when racing its more about the car setup and driving skills of course you don't want the reailable engine.

G

rcgasser said:
+1 on that most racers don't want to have the highest HP when racing its more about the car setup and driving skills of course you don't want the reailable engine.
A good setup would be key.

sirmonte

I think that if a pipe, carb, 8k clutch and belt drive would really wake the stock motor up, I think I might just do that instead of spending the extra $$$ that I could put into the HY.

G

Correct, you would still need at a minimum, the pipe and clutch spring. You can always do the motor later.

sirmonte

RCDAD said:
Correct, you would still need at a minimum, the pipe and clutch spring. You can always do the motor later.
Good point. I can always add the bolt ons and do the motor at another time.

sirmonte

RCDAD said:
That's a nice engine. The ESP Champ kit is about 100 less. The Gizmo motor is a RCMK which is a 4 bolt. Your HY is only a two. If your confident in building your own, it is rewarding to see it perform. Keep in mind, many have had issues with the head gasket. If you have the time and are on a tighter budget I'd say build your own. If you don't have the time or if the money is not a factor I say let the pros do it and get the Gizmo.
Is this the kit http://www.davesmotors.com/cc253

G

Yes that is the kit. You don't need the +2mm crank. The 30.5 HY that comes in the Redcats already has one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online