• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Body help

TerraKill

ive only ever done bash bodys for my savages..... cut them out, black spray on the inside and im done.

im thinking a black lower body and trim, and red upper body

so i need help and tips on how to do a body shell properly so it turns out looking nice:rolleyes:

what tools and paint types do i need

whats the best way to cut them out and get perfect wheel arches?

how do i go about preping the body for paint or designs?

do i spray the inside or outside?

how do i layout a design and what do i use?

can i stick, stickers on the inside of the body and paint over them?

ty anyone for any help and tips you can give

Terra

REVOlutionary Rampage

First, scuff up the inside of the body where you want to paint with fine grit sandpaper.

Then, wash the dust, mold release and oil from your hands from the inside of the body with dish soap. Dry the body really well.

Once it's dry, put in the window masks and parts that aren't going to be painted black. any stickers that need to go on the inside should go in now. paint the black then any of the lighter colors like red etc... on the inside of the body.

After, sit it where you want it and drill or use a body reamer to make your holes for the body posts etc.

then cut it out with either lexan scissors or a dremel. ( I recommend the dremel, if you have it.) .. apply the stickers and your done. :cool:

All the bodies that I have painted and trimmed, the wheel arches have a line to follow where the wheel arch is. Maybe another member can chime in... Oh, and before I forget you will need a good polycarbonate paint like Pactra or others.

Last edited by a moderator:

cordy

There are many tuderals on u-tube on how to paint rc bodys.+1 on the above. When you use rattle cans make shure you put the paint can in a container of warm water. Reason so the paint will flow easyier.Spray at 8psi-20psi depending on the verosity(thickness) of the paint if your useing an air brush.Do not remove the outer plastic covering of your body till your all done. You can use a scotch brite pad to scuff up the inside of your body.When you have all your colors on the final coat should be white or silver this is called the backing coat. Use 1/8 or 1/16th masking tape if your going to make lines.Also use a sharp hobby knife to cut out your spray mask designes.Keep your hands clean take your time.Make shure you use paint made for lexan body`s.Perhaps this seems like a lot so if your not comfortable send it out. You can use a hair dryer to quick`n the drying process between coats but be careful not to melt the body. Good luck and have fun.

G

I just wash the inside of the body with dish soap. You can scuff it up, but be careful not to scuff any areas to be left clear. It will cloud the lexan.

I do my trimming and hole drilling first, only because I've nicked up paint jobs doing it later.

I use liquid mask instead of the masks that come with the kit.

Always paint on the inside of the body.

Always paint from dark to light when possible. The darker colors can bleed through, changing the look of the lighter colors.

The liquid mask dries clear. So you can draw your lines on the outside of the body and cut the dried liquid mask on the inside.

Yes, there are lots of YouTube vids on painting techniques.

TerraKill

tyvm for all the tips guys, im gonna cross my fingers and hope this turns out all good

TerraKill

ok so ive decided what design im going to do(pritty simple as its my 1st propper shell, im sure stickers will make up for lack of paint design lol), and ive just ordered 6 cans of spray paint(1 metal flake, 2 red and 3 black), liquid mask, curved siccors, body post marker and the whole maing tool(remal? cant rember the name

im going with a light coating of metal flake effect, then with black and red backings

(its going to have a red front aswell, and a red area around the stinger)

just so i got my procedure correct and im doing it in the right order, please clarify what im about to do once ive cut the shell

1. ive marked the outside of the shell with black marker, all the diffrent areas i need to liquid mask.

2. wash inside of shell with soapy water then wash thoroly

3.spray the whole shell with a light covering of the metal flake paint? and allow to dry

4. wash shell again

5. use liquid mask to cover the areas i want red (3 coats?)

6. cut the liquid mask to shape and peel the off cuts?

7. spray the shell black and allow to dry.

8. peel the liquid mask off

9. spray masked areas with red paint and allow to dry

10. spray the whole shell with black paint for a dark backing.

11. done?

12. removed the outer protective film and cover with stickers :)

please let me know if this sounds ok, as i REALLY want this shell to turn out nice and feel proud of it

ohh and i ordered them nice body mount rubbers, the ones that sit over the mounting wholes with the body pins attached

and a circular cutter for perfect wheel aches, as i will only bugger em up cutting free hand

G

I'm pretty sure you can't liquid mask over paint, I could be wrong though. I would contact the manufacture of the mask and see what they say.

G

You can do the red and black leave them translucent and back them with the metal flake.

dozer187

looks like its gona be sick.....take your time with it and i would do the black areas before the red...alot of times black will bleed through lighter colors and change the way they look...what body is that by the way?

Guantanamo Joe

This is something that all the youtube videos were saying as well... do the dark colors first while the lighter ones are masked... go from darkest to lightest...

Mine is just two simple colors, but I can see how it would have been screwed if I had done the white before the green.

G

dozer187 said:
looks like its gona be sick.....take your time with it and i would do the black areas before the red...alot of times black will bleed through lighter colors and change the way they look...what body is that by the way?
It's the Grafil Rally

TerraKill

dozer187 said:
why does it not look as "wide body" as the pic on your site?
that would be because i was messing around with it in photoshop :p then saved in the wrong resolution

thanks everyone for the tips, ill have the finished resualt for you in a few days

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts