• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Black Headgaskets = Blowout

hamster huey

Some headkits come with black headgaskets that are prone to blowout. Some headkits come with blue gaskets. Copper gaskets and blue gaskets are the way to go. Not a big deal at all but it will save you time to use the better one first. The copper and blue gaskets are also reuseable a few times if not abused.

hamster huey

The zenoah updated their black gaskets to blue. As you have found gasket goop increases any gaskets durability greatly. I agree with you about squish. The blue gaskets will have a small amount of squish when first installed but if your reusing them they hardly have any. Its always a good idea to check and retorque head bolts frequently and immediatly after they have been reinstalled and periodically with regular use. We are lucky though that the rampage has quick easy access to the headgasket and head gaskets are cheap so even if neglected its a very easy fix. I think copper is the very best.

kryptonite

i never used the crappy white or black gaskit that came with my headkits. mostly just the copper ones, but have no problem with the blue stock gaskits either. good point thow. i think its safer to run the stock used blue gaskit then to use the crappy "napkin" they give you with the headkits. they used to put the blue ones in, but not lately. first choice is of course the copper gaskit for sure

jigawatt

so on a cy27... what size copper is a good one to use?

Oh and since I've already forgot... whats the torque in inch pounds?

Last edited by a moderator:

DemonRC

I've always heard it as squish also. Even the engine modders ESP, CC, ONB refer to it as "squish". Head clearance does sound alot better though doesn't it?

jigawatt

I used to be a mechanic... I've never heard squish before. The only reason I see it making sense now is because people use something in there to get squished to give them the "head clearance". That's my understanding to why they'd call it squish. No GM, Chrysler or Ford manual I've read calls it squish ;)

Somethin new learned every day I guess. There really is no other way of finding out your clearance without squishin something though on these... you guys take the "WIN" on that one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts