• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

best pipe for the TT - 5

larryo

Hi i have a TT-5 with a DDM 30.5 with the stuffed crank stock but might port the engine over the winter.I am looking for the best all around pipe for the engine and car combo? I am looking at the Dominator V2 pipe for your HPI Baja 5b and i don't care about modding it, or should i just pick up the Dominator pipe for Redcat Rampage TT MT?

G

Both are great pipes. I personally prefer the rear mounted pipes. I like the weight in the back, seems to help a little with the jumps.

blak__jak

i have an m/t but it's the same and i use the side dom and love it. it makes great power and when its not hot it's a perfect handle to carry the truck with.

rampagemt

Ddm side dom is great for the mt and the tt but as its mainly for the mt which is geared for torque I would say look into at least the side jetpro as it will have more top end.

blak__jak

the pipe has two mounting brackets that bolt to the frame and believe me carrying the truck by the pipe puts no stress on anything that may break and it actually makes a great handle.

larryo

THX All for your input,and i still don't really know whats best and i know i am opening up a can of worms on this subject lol.The only thing about the side pipe is the outlet vs oil getting out of the system? I run a lot of oil in my rc boats and use the same for this truck,with a mix oil ratio of 250ml per gal of fuel.I am thinking of the oil pooling up in the lower part of the pipe.

THX

Larry

G

larryo said:
THX All for your input,and i still don't really know whats best and i know i am opening up a can of worms on this subject lol.The only thing about the side pipe is the outlet vs oil getting out of the system? I run a lot of oil in my rc boats and use the same for this truck,with a mix oil ratio of 250ml per gal of fuel.I am thinking of the oil pooling up in the lower part of the pipe.THX

Larry
:eek:

The side mount Dom has a drain plug in the lowest tip of the pipe.

larryo

THX RCDAD it's good to know there is a drain hole at the lowest point.lol and i take it from the :eek: :eek: you must think that it's alot of oil for a gal of fuel do you? The boat engines runs good with 250ml of oil, my friends and i have about 15 boats and we run them up to 14,000 to 20,000 rpms all day long with no problem, from 25.4cc to 29.5cc engines from stock to full mod set up.

G

It was the thought of a pipe full of oil that shocked me. LOL But I guess over time it could build up in the pipe.

larryo

Yes this is why i was looking into the baja 5b or 5t pipe, the oil can get out with the exhaust. But if one pipe is a better all around pipe id say i'll get that one. I am going to mod the timing and runners on this engine like i did with the zen and sikk boat engines.But i don't want to sell my self short on the best pipe or pipes for the job.But in saying that i am not going to spend $200 or $300 on a pipe its just not in me to do so.DDM has a good sale on pipes so this is my reason for asking and we do have winter on the way. I'll do a build thread this winter of the $350 used TT5 i picked up with a nearly new ddm engine with about 5 tanks fuel and new chassie and front end.

G

Your not really comparing apples to apples on the side Dom vs a rear Baja Dom. The mid bleed pipes improve low to mid range while the end bleed is mid to high. However, both will improve the whole rpm range a good degree. So you need to look at how and where you drive the platform. If you like the SC tracks a mid bleed might suit you better. If you like all out top speed then the end bleeds might be a better choice.

larryo

It's going tobe a truck used all over the rpm range from all out to hill climbing,and in the sand pits to grass banks.I am running a 8000 to 9500rmp spring set up now so i guess this is what is going to help the low end of this truck.This truck is going to have 2 speeds idle and panic, lol so this is why i asked about the pipes and wounder witch was the better all around pipe.But i just order a pipe from DDM last night the Dominator v1 for the B5.And i know i'll need to mod this one to fit,But for $100 i guess i can't go wrong.

Sprint 77

Contributor
Pipe performance depends more on the conical shape and length than exit location. Yes you should choose a pipe that best fits your RPM range. You will have to compromise one for the other no pipe will give you excellent full range rpm. 2 cycle pipes rely on the return of the unused fuel back into the combustion chamber . That is what makes the pipe "HIT or up on the Pipe " as it is sometimes called. The tune of the pipe is done with math and formulas to get desired tune. Materials you use also make some difference.

G

Been awhile. Good to hear from you.

larryo

Yes i do know the length has a lot to do with the tune or rpm of a 2 cycle.I run boats in the upper 19,000 rpm and is done with making you pipe longer or shorter.This is why i asked the Q about the rc car pipes because they are fixed with no way to make them longer or shorter.I have no idea if you run boats but with a boat pipe system we have what is called a O band in the pipe and we measure from the ext port to the band,I have one boat that the pipe lenght to the band is 11 1/4" and the other boat is 12.5" to the band.And the engines are different the first one is a 27.2 and the other is 29.5 and the two of them are modded different.This is why i asked about the better pipe for the truck but i got the dom for the hpi after.

But if you can give me more in site it would be nice.I love info on this hobby and soak up as much as i can get.

THX

Larry

Sprint 77 said:
Pipe performance depends more on the conical shape and length than exit location. Yes you should choose a pipe that best fits your RPM range. You will have to compromise one for the other no pipe will give you excellent full range rpm. 2 cycle pipes rely on the return of the unused fuel back into the combustion chamber . That is what makes the pipe "HIT or up on the Pipe " as it is sometimes called. The tune of the pipe is done with math and formulas to get desired tune. Materials you use also make some difference.

larryo

Had a bad day and i didn't have my killer bee put in my bad.It pined the servo open and crazy it went,there is about $150 in parts gone and need to order some more.And put my killer bee in lol i have them in all my boats but not this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.