• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Best motor option?

Jersey El

Im new to the whole 5th scale hobby and chose the rampage as my first. What would be the best possible setup for all around speed (i'll learn to drive it later) :D ?

Piranha2

Contributor
Someone is biased towards the ported 28.5cc, I am also tossing the idea around between the 28.5 and the 30.5 (both ported w/ stuffed cranks) and for the $70 difference I'm leaning towards the 30.5 so I can push the 29/31 gears.

Clubin

Banned
Get a 28.5, but avoid the stuffed crank. I had one installed in my 28.5 stock stroke stuffed crank the engine started vibrating very bad, turns out the stuffing started to seperate from the crank. I will never install a stuffed crank again. I read about it happening, but thought it would never happen to me, well, it did.

Clubin

Banned
mooman007uk said:
You've just cursed me, both my motors have stuffed cranks, I've run my reed ported one for over a year now with no problems but now you watch it happen to me...thanks clubin:D
No problem man, I know you'd do it for me. lol
Here is my Zenoah 27.2 with a STUFFED CRANK. Whoops. I haven't realy ran it yet, but I will it is going in my Redcat Baja

misc135.jpg

misc137.jpg

I can't wait.

Clubin

Banned
biggiecamp said:
I thought maybe as much. I'm super jealous. I love those cases. I've kicked around the idea of getting one of those "Beast" motors from Ted and CC.
Buy the case, but don't buy the engine!

DemonRC

Clubin said:
Get a 28.5, but avoid the stuffed crank. I had one installed in my 28.5 stock stroke stuffed crank the engine started vibrating very bad, turns out the stuffing started to seperate from the crank. I will never install a stuffed crank again. I read about it happening, but thought it would never happen to me, well, it did.
I've had 3 stuffed cranks fail on me and the stuffing seperating from the crank was eaten up by the engine and ruined them. IMO stuffed cranks will last in stock engines. It's the high RPM scenerios where they fail alot. That stuffing just doesn't hold in high RPMS.

mooman007uk

Banned
biggiecamp said:
Why not? I actually want to use one of those cases with the new Italian crank that's out. Not real sure about which head to use with them yet.
if you get a DS top end you have to get the piston clearanced at the top 10mm to stop them seizing, as with nearly all billet heads they don't cool well enough cos you lose the fan shroud, so you get no airflow over the head

Clubin

Banned
mooman007uk said:
if you get a DS top end you have to get the piston clearanced at the top 10mm to stop them seizing, as with nearly all billet heads they don't cool well enough cos you lose the fan shroud, so you get no airflow over the head
Yep, happened to me a couple times, and Ted wasn't any help, I bought the engine from him. I was told it was my fault, lean seize. He replaced the top end once for me, after 4 months of waiting for part's. Not a practicle design though. I won't be dealing with Ted any more.

Avoid the DS top end.

Clubin

Banned
biggiecamp said:
I'm not fond of the looks of those billet heads anyway. Couldn't a Zenoah head be ported to make a lot of power?
Yes, they can. Here is mine, I ported it, it is the 4 bolt ADA kit based off of the Zenoah cylinder.

misc138.jpg

Croozer

mooman007uk said:
ported 28.5, lots of power and more revs than a 30.5 though you can gear up a bit more with a 30.5.
I like the race ported 28.5 kit on the stock block.

Grab a nice tuned pipe and YEEHA!

kryptonite

those are decant mills. i like the heads on them. i have that one coming for my "pinky" build. the main nuckle crunchers with splitting the case is the bearings as there pressed in. and sometimes pulling the flywheel is a pain. its just a little more work. if you wana skip that part, but have something a little more "race like" engine check out the ported heads. just as much perfomance gain, but in a diffrent spot. strokers give more low to mid and the port is mainly mid to top end, but easy install.

they don't have the fancy heads but are the same. a gp29 is really a 28.5

http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rccar/porting_pp_cylinder.htm

kryptonite

Clubin said:
Just get a ported 28.5 cc BB kit from ONB or DDM, they are indentical in appearance. It will give you more power than you'll need anyway.
i second that!! didnt you have a stuffed crank pull apart too? i had one on my 5b go out after maybe a gallon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts