• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Battery question

rampage idiot

I was out on another forum today and it looks like there is a bunch of people not real happy with venom batterys what do you people have to say on this subject ? I am using a 5000 mAh 5 cell nimh and while we are on the subject what are your inputs on the best charger for this type battery. Thanks

i knou what you are using RCDAD but do you think this is an overkill for just type battery

Deluge

I've had my Venom RX pack for a long time, and I haven't had any issues. I use an Onyx 200 charger, it's cheap but it gets the job done. I cycle my batteries with a wall charger when they're new, and every once in a while, after that.

G

i knou what you are using RCDAD but do you think this is an overkill for just type battery
Yes you are correct. I only have it to be able to charge multiple lipos. I still use the little wall chargers for my nickle receiver pacs. I just plug it in the night before an outing and unplug it in the morning.

REVOlutionary Rampage

As far as NIMH batteries go if you charge your battery slower it lasts longer overall but takes longer. Charging your battery faster it takes less time but doesn't last as long overall.

G

Cordy's guidelines are correct. That should be maximum recomended charging rates. It does not hurt to give it a slower charge. Overnight with the little factory chargers will do just fine even on the 5000mah nickle packs. All good battery packs will recommend a maximum charging rate.

rampage idiot

Thanks alot guys I am just trying to figure out why that venom 5000mAh 5 cell NIMH went bad in 2 months I was charging it at 5amps was working great then just bit the big one, Venom is warranting the battery but I just want to make sure I am not causing the problem

REVOlutionary Rampage

cordy said:
I charge mine according to the mah of the battery pack. ie. 1600 mah=1.6 amp,3000-4,000 mah=3.5 amps ,5000mah=5 amps.
Ditto, I also check what it says to charge a given Mah at in my charger directions.

rampage idiot said:
Thanks Revo
No prob, just passing along what I've learned over MANY MANY years in the hobby. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

krashkrieg

Contributor
the1320god said:
If I'm not in a hurry I do my 5000mah at .05 amp. Gives u the longest run time.
The only advantage to slow charge is putting less strain on cells which will ultimately give your batteries longer life, allowing more charges over times before it will not take a charge anymore.

It will not give you extra milliamps allowing for a longer run time.

I go with cordy formula, this is called charging at '1c'...good quality lipo's will allow you to charge @ several 'C's'

Last edited by a moderator:

Ildy666

My venom went after 1 tank of fuel.it took 2 1/2 months for a replacement no b/s but i think they have in stock so u should be ok.but double check i couldn't believe the wait...they sent me a shirt for the inconvenience but i rather have spare battery what u gonna do?...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts