• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Bad Mesh with Ramtech Steel Gears

beachthrottle

Just installed my steel gears from ramtech. and now my truck make a crunching noise and it doesn't freely roll. so I put tback on the plastic and everything is ok..

I bought them from Largescalerc and they are out of stock so no exchange from them..

Was there a bad batch of these gears?

Piranha2

Contributor
I had a bearing go on the B C shaft and took out the gears and when I reinstalled them (plastic stockers) I had a crunching noise, took it all apart and switched the C and D gears and no more noise. Worth a try.

kryptonite

thats not good.. my stock gears were kinda bindy till they melted. i went with the mcd's and they are silky smooth

beachthrottle

rob,

Its really crunchy. I mean it doesn't even roll freely it like rolls then stops like its binding.

RampageHopUps

When you switch to the Aluminum gearplate, you will see the gears are perfect. Until then, run them in.

beachthrottle

ok.. I am going to put them back on but that binding worries me.. i think its over working the clutch..

Gas Jocky

Check your grub screws on you brake square, if you didn't re lock tight them they will come loose and cause binding, it's two separate shafts held together by the square and grub screws...just a though.. maybe worth checking.

beachthrottle

thanks gas jocky mine was loose.. but I fixxed that.. still binding.. I am going to give it 1 full tank to see if the binding stops

max 1

Binding To

beachthrottle said:
thanks gas jocky mine was loose.. but I fixxed that.. still binding.. I am going to give it 1 full tank to see if the binding stops
i binding problems also 4 tanks still ther i put a littell greas on them smooth as can be . its lick one is out of round.

DemonRC

I put my Ramtech gears in last week and they were slightly tight at first. Not so tight they were crunching and not tight enough to overwork the clutch. Just tight enough were the car wouldn't free roll down my driveway.

I revved it up on my car stand for a few minutes and it loosened up alot. After 1/2 tank of messing around they ran smooth. I'm running the alum tranny plate and Fast Eddy bearings. I dunno if that is why I'm ok. It will also now free roll down the driveway.

RampageHopUps

max 1 said:
i binding problems also 4 tanks still ther i put a littell greas on them smooth as can be . its lick one is out of round.
I can assure you the gears are not out of round. Your aluminum squares may be out of round, but the gears are not.

Clubin

Banned
Mine did that too, I installed a new brake square and problem solved. Mu brake square was causing the gears to wobble, due to how the brake square holds the 2 shafts together is is also a coupling.

mooman007uk

Banned
check to see if the brake adjuster screws are out too far as well, are your brakes totally free when in the neutral servo position.

I need a coupler too, mines out of round and is making a bearing sloppy and I can't keep one of the grub screws tight despite blue or green loctite...I daren't try red...

C.B.

my brake square is not true anymore either. it wobbles like crazy it was making my gears do weird things. i just made sure it was tight and greased the gears and it still works fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts