• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Another won't start ......

Subtlebeast

Hi All,

I have a new rampage that has never been started.

I have done the following mods:

Vent tank

Killer bee kill switch

Upgraded all servos

NGK spark plug

I have set the Low speed needle to 1.25 turns, even tried leaning out by 1/16, hsn at 1.5

I have spark and pulled the fuel lines and they have fuel. I pulled the plug and it is not wet, but the hole looks wet. I am at a loss here. I read all the threads on start up issues and did the trouble shooting.

Can it be the I didn't set the gap correctly when I installed the kill switch?

Can I pour some gas in to the spark plug hole and see if it starts?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Anthony

G

They flood easily. If you pour gas down the plug hole you will flood it.

If you didn't remove the coil you normally don't have to set the gap. If you did it should be the thickness of a business card.

What was your starting procedure? It might be as simple as that.

Push fuel bulb 4-5 times. This won't flood the engine.

2-3 pulls with the choke on. You may or may not here a pop. No more than 3 pulls and they don't have to be fast pulls either, this is not where the engine will fire up.

Now turn choke off. Pull slow until the slack is gone from the starter then pull normal.

It should fire up in 1-3 pulls.

Ludabud

When I start mine with choke I prime bubble then choke it two or three slow pulls then a fast one to get it to pop and from there I take chock off and it fires up. I came to the conclusion to do the slow pulls and it works every time.

Subtlebeast

I did not take the flywheel off. I took the cover off, installed the new stop switch and connected the kill switch to channel 3. I have a flysky 3 channel. When I turn it on the kill switch beeps until I hit channel 3 and then it goes to a steady green.

I followed the steps noted above. I still can't get it to fire. I wonder if it is something with me venting the tank. I reinstalled the the stock fuel line and filter into the grommet. I then installed an aftermarket fuel line to the top portion of carb and another to vent. I noticed the vent pulling up fuel through the line, so I pulled it up further through the grommet. I am going to let if sit for a bit and try a Again next weekend.

One last question, I just played around with the idle screw and now I need a starting point. Should it just be at the smaller portion of the tip of the needle?

Thanks again for The help.

Anthony

G

One last question, I just played around with the idle screw and now I need a starting point. Should it just be at the smaller portion of the tip of the needle?
A good starting point is to have the throttle lever hit the idle stop screw half way up the tapered tip.

T3X

just open up the idle screw. be sure to block your truck so it doesn't take off on you. then when it starts... hopefully just turn it down so it doesn't try to take off. it will be reving high still at this point...

G

I did not take the flywheel off. I took the cover off, installed the new stop switch and connected the kill switch to channel 3. I have a flysky 3 channel. When I turn it on the kill switch beeps until I hit channel 3 and then it goes to a steady green.
If you reverse channel 3 on your transmitter, the kill switch will start off in the on position vs having to hit the button before you start it.

G

If you want to rule out the switch. Unplug the kill switch wires from the coil.

Subtlebeast

It fired up finally. I adjusted the gap between the flywheel and coil and it turned over. It ran erratically though. It races up and down on idle. I had difficulty getting it to idle long enough to tune it. I'll play around with it again tomorrow.

One question. The return fuel line had air bubbles visible in the line when running. Is this normals?

BertR

Its a return line to the tank so it does not matter... The erratic reves usually indicate an air leak around the carb or manifold.

Subtlebeast

Thank you everyone

Hi, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your help. Everything seems sorted out after many hours and many blisters :)

Now It just needs tuning but it's running normal. Let the fun begin!!!

Neff

welp... WONT start. Did the OBR guide. Primed bulb 3-4 times. Pulled slowly to get gas in the engine, then tried to pull slow till it tightened up. Did not use the choke lever at first. Would not even sound like it wanted to fire. Tried choke on and still nothing. Only thing I've done is the cap mod and an NGK plug. Pulled the plug which looked a little wet but not horrible. Turned the vehicle upside down and No gas comes out the plug hole. Checked for spark by holding the plug to top of the engine and I didn't see one but it's bright out so maybe I missed it. Put the factory plug back in which was never used and tried again without priming the bulb. Still nothing.

My guess is its flooded somehow???

What's the next step and can I just let these plugs dry out or do I have to go get another one? Kinda disappointed that me and the son couldn't at least get it running right now. Please help...

If anyone wants to call me and explain or ask me queations, please feel free to do so. I'd really appreciate it!

Chris 319 721 2503

T3X

Check your plug for spark indeed. That was my problem. Faulty plug from the getgo.

Neff

No Spark... With either plug. The factory or the NGK... 0. Just had a local shop look at it as well and it gets nothing :(

G

You might need to set the gap between the coil and flywheel, or you might a stuck kill button.

Have you had it running in the past or is this first start-up?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts