• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

AM ok for break-in?

Piranha2

Contributor
Well, I overbought hopups :D BEFORE I got my radio (in fact BEFORE I got my truck), so I was wondering if I can break-in the truck in the fenced-in back yard with my cheesy AM Futaba? :eek:

kryptonite

am radio's are not recomended. our ingnition system couses interferance with them. everbody has diffrent opinions on wich way to break in a motor. just run the snot out of it, keep it rich and tune after the second tank.. what kinda radio you lookin for?

cable97526

The AM radio's do receive a lot of "radio noise" so to speak from our ignition systems on our engines, but unlike most I will tell people to run an AM if they cannot afford a good FM/DSM radio system. I can remember many years ago when we first got our gas boats and they had old stick am 27mhz radios and they worked well. I ran my FG for almost a year with the stock AM before I put a spectrum in it. People get over anxious about the newest and greatest without even knowing how well the original will work. I would say run it with the AM until you get another, especially if you have a safe space to do it.

Piranha2

Contributor
Thanks Cable,

yeah my Enforcer Magnum 57 came with a JR AM radio and it had a ton of range and I didn't run into any problems (luckily). And yes, I am only considering it this time because we have a fenced-in yard. truck might get hurt but no one else.

kryptonite

ya, that may be so cable, but its all about the safety. i have had problems with fm 27mhz and also bench tested a traxxas radio wich was am(that was a while ago) and it just gets glitchy.. keep in mind these machines way almost 30pounds. you not only can do serious damage to your rig, but you can really hurt someone and or damage someone elses property. a failsafe will not work if your radio glitches the throttle servo to redline.. it still has a signal. im not a big spender.. you don't NEED a spectrum.. you need something that is safe. and that will cost you about $100. (airtronics mx-3).. thats my 2cents, ROCK ON AND LET US KNOW HOW YOU LIKE THE RIG!!

hellya

Piranha2 said:
Thanks Cable,
yeah my Enforcer Magnum 57 came with a JR AM radio and it had a ton of range and I didn't run into any problems (luckily). And yes, I am only considering it this time because we have a fenced-in yard. truck might get hurt but no one else.
Boats gets better radio signal from further distances on the lake than our 1/5 vehicles due on land:)

heres a spectrum dx3 with 2 recievers on ebay....$105 http://cgi.ebay.com/SPECTRUM-RADIO-DX-3-0-with-2-Recievers_W0QQitemZ170297472881QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Vehicles?hash=item170297472881&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I bought my specrum dx3 off ebay with 2 recievers for $145...now whenever I get another vehicle alls I have to do is buy a receiver and bind it to the RX..cost $50...My spectrum RX runs 7 vehicles :)

Last edited by a moderator:

hellya

I wouldnt spend $500-800 on a rc.....install a POS radio system then take a chance of running it into anything..... It will probably cost you more to fix the vehicle than getting a decent radio system from the get go;)

Just the bodies for 1/5 vehicles cost about $100 or more

cable97526

OK, OK, you guys get so huffy about some subjects. My question is how long have you been in the hobby? I know Krypto has been here a while but I Have been in RC since 1992 back then we didn't have even 75mhz FM radios unless you went aircraft! I really don't understand why we can't answer this gentlemans question "can I BREAK IT IN with an AM radio?" the key word here is break it in. He wants to run it in his "FENCED" back yard besides that unless his back yard is a football field, with a radio station next door I don't beleive interfierence will be a problem. I now own two DX systems and trust me I know they are better, just please remember until you have used something please don't opinionate on it.

P.S. Kryptonite the MT is almost 40 pounds wet! :D and as an FYI to all an object weighing 30lbs going 30mph has an impact force of almost half a ton. So yes the damage factor can be huge. :eek:

Piranha2

Contributor
WOW, I am getting a better radio ASAP....... I have the truck now, the hop-ups (fr: Rampagehopups.com) are on their way and I just NEED to hear it run!!!!!

kryptonite

ok, so cable has a valid point, your question as answered by cable, yes it will work. would i feel comfortable telling you to go run it, no, not really. but only couse i have tried it with little resoults. it may be just fine. its not going to catch on fire, its not going to explode(that would be funny).. so, if it was me and my mt was on the bench and i only had one radio(fat chance) i would run it.. i don't think i would be able to help myself. so the advise that i would give you untill your new radio comes would be to set it up on a crate with the wheels off the ground, fire it up and go to the far end of you property and see if it glitches or has smooth radio frequency. if works, run it. just use your common sense. you'll be fine. on another note, i LOVE and swear by my 3pm's. there cheap and work flawlessly with plenty of driver options

and here is to you cable: ive been rc'ing since i was 14. my mom brought me to the rc track to give me something to drive couse i kept stealing her car(really).. i stopped stealing cars, but still drive them like they were stol'in. im no good at math and cant spell, so figure it out.. im 32, you can take a few years of couse you cant rc on the "c-block"

hellya

cable97526 said:
OK, OK, you guys get so huffy about some subjects. My question is how long have you been in the hobby? I know Krypto has been here a while but I Have been in RC since 1992 back then we didn't have even 75mhz FM radios unless you went aircraft! I really don't understand why we can't answer this gentlemans question "can I BREAK IT IN with an AM radio?" the key word here is break it in. He wants to run it in his "FENCED" back yard besides that unless his back yard is a football field, with a radio station next door I don't beleive interfierence will be a problem. I now own two DX systems and trust me I know they are better, just please remember until you have used something please don't opinionate on it.
I was selling 1/5 cars/trucks about 5 years ago www.fg-hopups.com and been in 1/5 for about 10 years ....all those vehicles belonged to me

The Key word here is BREAK:D....alls it takes is firing your engine up...the radio glitches... throttle stuck full.

Hes not going into the wood fence ..... hes going through the wood fence:D

But what the heck ...its only money.....Money spent repairing insted of investing in a good system....A ounce of prevention

Heres a nice $1200 FG Monster Truck before a runaway

And heres that same FG MT after a run away....ANY QUESTIONS???

Piranha2

Contributor
One question...have you stopped crying yet? :( Was such a nice rig! (looks like more than $1200 also) I hooked up my AM just to get all the linkages sorted out and will start it on a crate for now. Have you guys noticed the toe-in on the rear wheels?

kryptonite

Piranha2 said:
One question...have you stopped crying yet? :( Was such a nice rig! (looks like more than $1200 also) I hooked up my AM just to get all the linkages sorted out and will start it on a crate for now. Have you guys noticed the toe-in on the rear wheels?
i needed a good laugh..

hellya

kryptonite said:
i needed a good laugh..
..........................Just remember
thread_is_worthless.jpg

/monthly_2009_01/thread_is_worthless.jpg.7261bacf533a70d479a5891e5f581ef8.jpg

Piranha2

Contributor
How so? They are 3/16ths of an inch in. I also adjusted the camber front and rear. The "toe-in" in the rear A-arms is by design.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts