• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

aluminum steering mounts?

Ol' fart

I'm trying to add boots on all the universals but the front outer one's have no room. If there is an aluminum one avalible it may save me the trouble of making my own. Some people call them a turnbuckle.

???????

Ol' fart

Here's some booty shot's

As you can see the boot is too big for the front end, an aluminum turnbuckle could be opened up the fit the boot and tie strap

DemonRC

Last time I heard we should have the alloy parts this month. Darrin from Redcat should have the final word on that. I wouldn't hold my breath that the boot will fit in the alloy steering knuckle though.

Ol' fart

Well, If I have to make some I will. If I'm going to make one I might as well make a batch of them. Is anyone interested in a pair ??

Ol' fart

first things first

I'm in the design stage and I realize now is the time to incorporate oversize bearings.

I remember someone talking about a bigger/cheaper bearings awhile back....

Does anybody remember the size???

DemonRC

It's not like the 19's are too small it's just they are too narrow and the roller element can't take the load like a wider 6 or 7mm bearing can. They do have 10x19x7 bearings which would be much beefier than the skinny 10x19x5's that we have. The next step up would be to roll with 10x22x6's.

Personally, I was going to wait for Redcat to release the alloy knuckles and then mill the out for the 10x19x7's. Here's a link if you wanna try those.

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit9347

DemonRC

I would go with the 22's if they would fit. After taking a look at the car it looks like they would if you also machined out a new C hub to account for the larger steering knuckle. If that's a hassle the wide 19's would definitely be the way to go.

Ol' fart

Rears too

Making some rear bearing housings with the oversized bearings that I used in the front steering knuckles.

? There are two holes for mounting the arms, Stock uses the lower one for the lower arm and the inside one for the upper arm. I can't see why they have the other holes. It's waste of time to put them in and adds weight.

Does anyone use these extre holes?????

Last edited by a moderator:

powerslave69

got an idea

Ol said:
Aluminum steering knuckles. Oversize bearings (10x22x6) and they will except a rubber boot to cover the drive cup.
You could package the whole thing once you figured out how to make it work and then sell it to us and save us a great deal of grief. I like the idea of the boot. Had any of these companies ever cross their mind to seal all these areas? they know what us guys gonna do with this trucks and buggys. Maybe they're well aware but I figured if they make everything so damn durable, their spare parts sale would suffer. I read somewhere car companies have these philosophy too. Not sure if this true but some say these companies make more money selling spare parts than they do selling cars. make sense though. I bought a drive belt for my old van and got charged $55 for it! I asked the the guy who manufactures this belts, Calvin Klein? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ol' fart

[

"You could package the whole thing once you figured out how to make it work and then sell it to us and save us a great deal of grief."

That is the plan. Give me a couple of weeks.

The rubber boots are too easy to sale, I just cut the tips off of the fingers on a rubber glove and poke a hole in the end and your done.

( here it comes)They fit like a glove. Ohhhhhhhh ;)

powerslave69

cool!

Ol said:
[
"You could package the whole thing once you figured out how to make it work and then sell it to us and save us a great deal of grief."

That is the plan. Give me a couple of weeks.

The rubber boots are too easy to sale, I just cut the tips off of the fingers on a rubber glove and poke a hole in the end and your done.

( here it comes)They fit like a glove. Ohhhhhhhh ;)
Genius! :eek:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts