• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Aluminum or Steel Fuel Tank Project.

MrMeatHooks

Ok,

So I hate the leaky plastic gas tank on my MT, every time I drive, it leaks all over by the time im done playing.. Im thinking about making a custom aluminum or steel gas tank to increase safety and eliminate spillage.

I plan on getting rid of the cheap plastic hold down straps, and instead, attach rubber grommets using the existing bolts running through the chassis to hold the tank down and control vibration.

As far as fuel level, I would put two ports on the outside of the tank at the bottom and top, then connect them with a clear tube, this will indicate fuel level.

Also, there will be two threaded caps on the tank, one for filling and the other will be for fuel line, vent and filter service. This will be a full proof design for the serious racer and hobbiest alike.

I have access to Mig and Tig machines. If I get enough interest I will build them. The biggest issue is finding the caps and threaded ends for them.

MrMeatHooks

Nice tip, I'll take a look!

Update:

I looked and did not see anything. I was thinking of aluminum water bottles that I could use for caps and fillers. Small canteens etc..

Last edited by a moderator:

Sergio

MrMeatHooks said:
Nice tip, I'll take a look!Update:

I looked and did not see anything. I was thinking of aluminum water bottles that I could use for caps and fillers. Small canteens etc..
How about if You make one and show us some pictures i like The idea of The aluminum gas tank a lot

Dreggsta

my 2 xt tanks don'tt leak at all. i took out the 2 cap inserts & super glued a #214 or 215 metric o-ring to the inside roof of the cap. i have had vast flip overs from my bash sessions & no spillage anywhere. a metal tank is cool tho. :)

G

A scaled down version of this would be cool.

MrMeatHooks

I like the old school gasser fuel cell style you posted. I need to do something that will have a low point for the gas to collect when the fuel level is low. It would be easier to design using the rubber mounts and straps already there. I guess I can try something like that first for simplicity sake. Im going to get an aluminum sheet tomorrow and make something :D

MrMeatHooks

Dreggsta said:
my 2 xt tanks don'tt leak at all. i took out the 2 cap inserts & super glued a #214 or 215 metric o-ring to the inside roof of the cap. i have had vast flip overs from my bash sessions & no spillage anywhere. a metal tank is cool tho. :)
Thats a great idea! Im just looking to make something custom, I like to design and improve things I see flawed. Been a mechanic and alignment tech for 12 years, and worked on cars since I was 15, I guess you can say it is in my blood to tinker lol

Dreggsta

I feel ya. I've worked on cars, trucks & atv's & I like to do the same things as well. It'll be cool to see what you come up with. As for o-rings, I've used them as axle clips on atv's to hold axles into the diffs in place of the metal rings as the metal ones can darn be impossible to pull out on some machines.

ISA Buzz

in the RC marine industry they have what they call a blatter tank, its basically a bag that holds gas that has to be pumped into a sealed system. I use one in my 5B cuz its such a bitch to clean.

RampageHopUps

2ndGenDesigns is making a welded fuel tank for the Bajas. He has already figured out all the CPA and fillers, etc. take a look on HBF for his thread.

G

RampageHopUps said:
2ndGenDesigns is making a welded fuel tank for the Bajas. He has already figured out all the CPA and fillers, etc. take a look on HBF for his thread.
I've seen that. He does awesome work!

MrMeatHooks

RampageHopUps said:
Thanks!

I'm working on this project next, now that I have a buddy wth a tig welder :p

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online