• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

8K Clutch not fitting

Guantanamo Joe

Ok, so I ordered an 8K clutch and it is not fitting the Dune Runner's motor shaft. The holes in it are just the slightest bit too small. I thought- not a problem, my old clutch has plenty of shoe left on it, I will just swap out the springs. This is apparantly a no-go as well because the spring is not sitting well in the holes on the old clutch. What the hell can I do here? I don't want to order more parts and wait 2 more weeks to get my DR back on the trail...

Thanks,

Aaron

Guantanamo Joe

and as I waited on replies to this problem, I have found a new issue.

I also got a belt drive and the square shafts (because mine had the 4 pins). As I pulled the clutch bell out of the gear plate and put the new one in, I found that the new one does not fit the bearings.... WTF?????????????? I hate living overseas- if I have to order more parts this thing will NEVER get finished. Can anyone give a hint about this?

Aaron

Deluge

Do you have a link to what your ordered? The 8k clutch should have a red spring. Sounds like you might've ordered or received a Zen clutch. The Zen clutch has 8mm mounting holes, and the CY/HPI clutch has 9mm mounting holes.

ChuenouXiao

Guantanamo Joe said:
I had read that somewhere, but the problem here is there is no paint on the spring...
Here is my post of a 8k clutch spring into my pads

http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=8643&page=6

I hope this is what you're talking about... if you follow to the end... hopefully it answers your question. Somehow I've manage to get the spring into both pads nice and neat without any scratch on the red 8k spring. Of course, that's after the first try with the first 8k spring is destroyed regarding striping the paint from the use of brute force from the pliers.

G

It's not the bearings. The 4 pin gear plate is to narrow. That out side clutch bearing only goes onto the end of the clutch shaft before the step up.

See pics. First is the 4 pin plate. Second is the square drive plate.

-

4e9a1433.jpg

2e054e2a.jpg

G

I don't have a link, but I ordered it from RC Pitstop. If I ordered the wrong thing, then my bad of course... I am not blaming him for my ignorance on the issue....
I will have to take a look at the inventory and see which version was sent to you.

Guantanamo Joe

So what is the fix? and could the quick fix be that I take the gear plate from my XT, install the belt, and affix it to my MT? Would that work to get me running until I can get some more parts from you?

G

Yes the two plates are interchangeable.

G

It sounds like you received the Zen style clutch we have stocked both. The springs can be a PITA to swap but it is possible. Tomorrow I'll check inventory and get you what you need for the clutch. The blue MT plates are 49. We are also having 7075RC make us 2 new style plates. They are still a few weeks out and will be a bit more money. In the mean time if you don't want to mess with the clutch, since you can pull the one off your XT since you are swapping gear plates.

Sorry for the confusion.....

Guantanamo Joe

awesome... I will be ordering a new plate SOON. For tonight, I will put the original spring back in the original clutch and replace. I will swap the XT and Dune Runner Plates out so that I can put the belt on the Runner. I don't know why the hell I didnt order a 2nd belt drive back when you were having your sale (I wish I was not on vacation and had figured all this out during sale time too).

Thanks for your help- your customer service is outstanding and your knowlege on these things is invaluable.

Aaron

G

You were shipped a zen clutch kit. So I will get you out what you need. I also sent you an email.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.