• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

8000 rpm clutch

mudpy

ok i just installed a new 8000 rpm clutch on my dr and now there's like a 5 second delay before it takes off almost like the brakes are on. is this normal i know it engages later with more power but is this normal?

thanks

G

5 seconds, really? Even under WOT?

There should not be much delay, just higher rpms when it takes off. It would be only a fraction of a second from 6k to 8k rpm.

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
5 seconds, really? Even under WOT?There should not be much delay, just higher rpms when it takes off. It would be only a fraction of a second from 6k to 8k rpm.
LOL!!!! 5 second on WOT? :D Sounds like tuning or maybe the clutch wasn't installed correctly?

mudpy

do the shoes move freely once you tighten the 2 screws on the clutch or are they tight?

thanks again

mudpy

Hey Deluge sorry to bother you again but do you tighten the 2 screws untill they bottom out or do you keep checking the shoes untill they don't move and then back the screws out a bit so the shoes move?

thanks

Deluge

Thread the screws in until they bottom out and snug them up. Did you assemble the clutch correctly? The flat washers go onto the clutch plate, then the clutch, and then the wavy washers. Make sure you didn't install the clutch backwards. There are arrows on the clutch itself that indicate which way the clutch rotates, make sure those are facing out.

mudpy

Yeah the clutch is good . I found one of the trans gears thats attached to the clutch housing was not rotating freely i think i tightened the nut too much . I loosened the trans gear and i wil try again later on see how it goes

alfred e numan

last engine i installed had a overhauled clutch- thought there was a issue with it- all the gear shafts moved freely- turns out, it was the brakes binding. sprayed some electronic cleaner into the disc area- and the dirt-dust just ran out- a bunch of it- on my xb, the slightest touch on the brakes will cause them to bind-drag.- i run the brake rod with some play now- when the engine is @ idle- there is a small amount of play on the brakes-- worked for me---

mudpy

Ok that was the problem . The gear in the trans was too tight . It hauls ass now!! so far these are the upgrades: 990 carb

8000 rpm clutch

cpi big bore pipe (very loud)

aluminum sus pieces

fuel kit with vent

but i still want more bottom end power or better acceleration

do you guys know what gears to get?. I'm also looking at an OBR long rod engine but for now i want to try the gears first.

I had to modify the rear cage for the pipe i will post pics soon

mudpy

Guys what are the best gears for more bottom end for the D/R and where is the best place to get them?

Thanks

G

A lower ratio will give you more bottem end but it comes with a cost. You will loose some top end speed. If your DR has the 4 pin gears you will be limited. If you switch to the square drive set-up, you can use the MCD gears but they are more money. If you are running 29-31 you can go down to 25-35 for Redcat gears but you won't have much top end.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.