• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

4WD or no?

Guantanamo Joe

So, I currently have street tires on my Dune Runner. I play in the street, the grass, on some dirty hills and thats about it. My question to the others is: Are there any benefits to taking off the dogbones and making this a 2 wheel drive truck? Would it be faster with less engine load? Would it handle any different? Can someone smart tell me what to expect or should I just leave it the hell alone?

Thanks,

Aaron

Heavy Chevy

I asked the same thing a few years back and something had mentioned that it would be breaking diffs all the time if you go 2wd, it's just not designed for it. If you want 2wd, get an hpi baja or a clone.

G

It won't handle as well on the dirt. It will seem a bit quicker as long as you can get the rear tires to hook up. It does put all of the power to half of the drivetrain but it wil work. You might be replacing dogbone pins or drive cups a little more often, but it just depends on your driving style. The biggest negative will be trying to slow her down. Having only rear brakes sucks! So you have to get use to giving yourself more stopping room.

Deluge

Acceleration would be a lot better, as well. I ran my MT without the front diff hooked up and it was a monster. No drivetrain damage, and I'm running the stock MT tires. Try it and see if you like it.

blak__jak

Being an older post don't know if anyone will even see this and come back but I was just wondering has anyone ever tried removing the back dogbone for front whell drive only. Would that take care of constant whellies and maybe turn better. Just wondering??

G

Constant wheelies?? I would love to see that!

FWD would handle different for sure. It would be hard to control. Just think... You are trying to do everything with one pair of wheels instead of four. You would also need much better tires.

blak__jak

Don't really know about the whellie part just remembering the way some of the two whell drive nitro cars and trucks that I have had acted. I've had to put whellie bars on some of them. Corse they were'nt 40 pound pigs.

G

Yeah, the RWD nitros and electrics will wheelie all day long. The Redcata are mid engine and won't wheelie even in just RWD. Not in stock form anyway.

Deluge

blak__jak said:
Being an older post don't know if anyone will even see this and come back but I was just wondering has anyone ever tried removing the back dogbone for front whell drive only. Would that take care of constant whellies and maybe turn better. Just wondering??
It'll probably be jerky as hell.

G

Yes, you would have to run a lighter diff fluid for controllability. It would want skip and jump in the corners.

blak__jak

Well I guess I'll get to find out how an mt handles with only rwd next time I run it. Just got a set of proline bones on desperado wheels and was out check'in them out yesterday when wouldn't you know it busted a front dogbone so I went ahead and took the other one out. I just want to see how it does. Oh by the way I'm really digging them bones already. They hookup great most likely part of why I broke the dogbone but they also look good with the stock body dropped all the way to the rollcage at least my thought. What do you guys think??

Deluge

blak__jak said:
Well I guess I'll get to find out how an mt handles with only rwd next time I run it. Just got a set of proline bones on desperado wheels and was out check'in them out yesterday when wouldn't you know it busted a front dogbone so I went ahead and took the other one out. I just want to see how it does. Oh by the way I'm really digging them bones already. They hookup great most likely part of why I broke the dogbone but they also look good with the stock body dropped all the way to the rollcage at least my thought. What do you guys think??
Looks awesome! You might want to reinforce the body, though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts