• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

28.5cc head kit

Piranha2

Contributor
I just ran my Rampage and what a dog! I removed one stage of the stock filter and it got better. I gutted the can and it got a little better. Weird thing is on the run in to the hill I would pick up speed (in the snow) and when it got on the incline of the hill it would just rip the hill (all gravel) to shreds right to the top and roost a turn then lose power down the hill. Weird or not??? Well my real question is: will I need a torque wrench or any special tools for installing the 28.5cc GPM290 head kit and will it improve the low-end power noticeably or substantially?

kryptonite

no speacal tools. its very simple. the piston comes out with c-clips and the head is obvious(2 bolts and the carby). and yes!! those couple cc's turn the motor into an ape!! the only thing the can pipe does is keep it quiet. an after market pipe will really open the power band up.

Piranha2

Contributor
Yeah, Rob sent me some goodies and I hopefully will be getting a 77 DOM pipe soon! Thanks for the info Kryp. Oh, nice runaway! Don't you just love the snow????

kun114

Keep in mind that the stock can is killing your performance. You will not get the full potential of the new head kit(in my case, hardly any noticable difference) until you get a pipe on it.

I would do the pipe first, or save my money and do both at the same time. Just my 2c's

kryptonite

kun114 said:
Keep in mind that the stock can is killing your performance. You will not get the full potential of the new head kit(in my case, hardly any noticable difference) until you get a pipe on it.
I would do the pipe first, or save my money and do both at the same time. Just my 2c's
i agree with everything kun has ever stated. wise and insitefull you are mr.kun. but, as far as the headkit? becouse of my budget i have MOSLTY opted for the head kit "first"($100 verse $200). and resoults have always been very good. not just a little better, but like a new monster better. i agree the stock can is strangling your mill, but i think if you have a choice of one or the other, you will get more resoults out of the headkit.. on my first motor job ever, every one told me to do a pipe first, and ya it help. was very pleased, but not as pleased as i was with the headkit.. THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!!

don't you just love the pink! :)

Piranha2

Contributor
Well, I was told by the bigger dealers to go for the displacement first and then pipe. Who knows! Either way I should have the kit tomorrow and a pipe in a few weeks. ..........and Kryp, after two hours of thrashing in the workshop I finally have those "2" bolts off !!!! ......LYAO aren't you?

kryptonite

Piranha2 said:
Well, I was told by the bigger dealers to go for the displacement first and then pipe. Who knows! Either way I should have the kit tomorrow and a pipe in a few weeks. ..........and Kryp, after two hours of thrashing in the workshop I finally have those "2" bolts off !!!! ......LYAO aren't you?
i am laughing!!! 2 HOURS!!! IM HISTERICAL!!!! i cant help but invision the "mad scientist" in his white lab coat cussing like a drunkin sailor. them 3 inch bolts got the best of yu... :) :)

Piranha2

Contributor
Well, I do wear a white lab coat and work for a scientist so you're close.......I mean c'mon, I had to tear that whole truck down to get at those 2 bolts...geesh...and what a tiny piston!

mooman007uk

Banned
I was running an fg can with a ported 28.5 on my MT and it's pretty quick, got my sprint ss pipe to go on now and have a 77dom coming too.....can't wait to actually be able to get on pipe and creat some proper noise:D

It's worth getting just the head kit as you'll notice a big difference.

kryptonite

thats rite moo. forgot about your can.. if you wana see the diffrence, do a search and find moo's vids.. he is running a can pipe and headkit. that thing runs like a shaved ape

Piranha2

Contributor
Love Moo's gap jumps too.....but he breaks too much "stuff" .... lol

kryptonite

Piranha2 said:
Love Moo's gap jumps too.....but he breaks too much "stuff" .... lol
ya, he beats that thing like a redheaded step child!!! ooowww. thats not right

Piranha2

Contributor
WAS mine, had to sell because of the noise ordinances in my area, people just hated it wherever I ran. Oh, and Moo does great cartwheels too!

mooman007uk

Banned
only little stuff though:D I hope to have addressed that now though.

Even managed some body work with the heat gun to fix it where the can hurt it

Ok I'm no Chip Foos but it'll do

kun114

kryptonite said:
i agree with everything kun has ever stated. wise and insitefull you are mr.kun. but, as far as the headkit? becouse of my budget i have MOSLTY opted for the head kit "first"($100 verse $200). and resoults have always been very good. not just a little better, but like a new monster better. i agree the stock can is strangling your mill, but i think if you have a choice of one or the other, you will get more resoults out of the headkit.. on my first motor job ever, every one told me to do a pipe first, and ya it help. was very pleased, but not as pleased as i was with the headkit.. THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!!
don't you just love the pink! :)
I guess I may have been a little short on the previous reply.

Once again there are several varibals. A side from funds, I think it mostly depends on the size of the area you run at. If you have a large area, you will notice a difference. It's just going to take a lot longer for the RPM's to come up with the stock can. I say I noticed little difference with just my head upgrade, because I have a small area and never got it to come up before I ran out of room. Now we got a good pipe on her, and all is bliss.......

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts