• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

2 Degree Woodruff Key installed!

MrMeatHooks

Ok, so I bought a 7-8 +/- Degree woodruff key to bump up the timing a bit. All I can say is that after all the money I have spent on hop ups, this little bump in timing was the most noticeable. I mean, with everything being the same and the key was the only change it was a night and day difference in power. I thought I had a different motor installed or something. I would guess the advance in timing is bumping horse power by 1HP or so.

The engine has a lot more top end (naturally as the spark is advanced ) and it accelerates a lot harder! The rear of the truck REALLY squats down and goes. The top speed is amazing for this huge truck, wow.

The puller and woodruff key was 15$. The best money I have spent on this truck so far.

I would recommend this FOR SURE- Has anyone messed with their timing yet

?

Im going to try and get my wife to shoot some video footage tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motakitty

I was wondering about this key but never posted about it. I'm gonna try it out. Can you post a link for us please cause I don't remember where I saw it

MrMeatHooks

MrMeatHooks

Shalako said:
That sounds too good to be true...
Yeah, that's what I thought. It will depend on the motor also.

Im running a Ramtech 36cc. It had slight porting done to it, but since I bought it I ported the intake and exhaust a bit more and raised the exhaust port roof to alter port timing. I also ported the lower end and transfer ports and ported the exhaust pipe flange so it did not bottle neck. After all of the improvements it was noticeably faster, but the key made it really come alive and helped utilize the engines potential better. Like I said earlier, night and day.

Every engine benefits from more timing, there are dyno runs to prove it. For the money, you will never find a better mod that will do what this does.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

I'm a bit intrigued. Price is right. A lot of guys play with the timing using the variable timing flywheel covers. They are a lot more money.

G

Keep in mind the more you advance timing on a 2 stroke the more revs you loose on the top end. For your MT it is working because the timing advance helps low end.

Motakitty

I have a cy 30.5cc with esp ported head and rcmk hp crank shaft, ddm light weight flywheel, 990 carb, 1" velocity stack, dt1 air filter, aluminum spacer and jetpro side pipe, 8k clutch, and belt drive in my xb and it flys off the line and has plenty of top end but you can never have enough so maybe I'll get this key just to try it and let you all know

Motakitty

RCDAD said:
I'm a bit intrigued. Price is right. A lot of guys play with the timing using the variable timing flywheel covers. They are a lot more money.
On the variable cover I know the coil installs on the cover but how do you get the coil gap right if it's on the cover. Having adjustability would be nice

MrMeatHooks

Should work. How much advance though? I'm sure they are all the same unless you get the timing cover, which is more money and give around the same performance as the woodruff. The power to cost ratio goes up with the cover, makes the option less attractive when on a budget for easy HP. I used to advance timing on my dirt bikes, made a difference there, that's why I did it on the 1/5th

Motakitty

I got the key so I'll report back once I get it installed, might be a while cause in still breaking in my engine

Motakitty

For the price might as well. And if it adds power then great which it should

Deluge

These engines are already running advanced timing. If you advance it any further it'll run hotter and cause it to knock unless you run a colder plug or bump up the octane.

rampage idiot

Deluge said:
These engines are already running advanced timing. If you advance it any further it'll run hotter and cause it to knock unless you run a colder plug or bump up the octane.
That's what would worry me! advancing the timing more would definitely cause pre ignition especially with the junk gas we buy! And that for sure means running hotter, You know what they say, they run the best right before they grenade! #one 7 to 8 degrees is ALOT!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts