• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

2/21 carnage.

v555

twisted - bones said:
I have tried in air corrections with this thing. It is nothing like my truggy which I have full control of in the air. Panic revs have no effect on bringing the front end up on the 30+pound beast when it is already heading down. When I do the rebuild I will be replacing the shock oils since like a moron I did not do when I bought them. There is just too much rebound in the rear end. I think if the wheel base were a little longer it would help stabilize the truck in the air as well make it handle better on the ground. And then there is always the need for a center dif. which would allow for a longer wheelbase......hmmm think I will go take a look at a mcd center dif. real quick. might have to have a custom chassis made to fit one of those and add a little length to keep the current dogbones.
yes that track is almost "mission impossible" for rampage,(made for 1/10 cars?)i suggest to use lowest gearing so car will response sharper and you don't need top speed in there and thicker oil to front shocks or thinner to rear.

twisted - bones

actually it is a 1/8 scale track. 14 foot wide surface. as for the oils I would go thicker in the rear and thinner in the front. need more viscosity to slow the rebound in the rear so it wont kick so bad. I was running the lowest gearing and it was too low for the long straight. I am running a 28.5cc race ported so next time it will get middle of the road gearing which the motor should more than be able to handle. I don't care how many times I have to rebuild this thing, it is going to clear that double even if I have to throw it over it:D

hamster huey

Wow you rode it hard and put it away wet! Thats borders more on abuse than bashing!

twisted - bones

Just had to see what she had. I think it did ok for the bashing it took. Only lasted for 15 minutes but it was a harsh 15 minutes actually less harsh than what I put my truggy through. I ran my truggy for 2 hours after that and really put it through some punishment getting it dialed in for saturday night. needless to say out of all the flips and cartwheels the truggy went through all that broke was a front lower a arm which is typical. it survived numerous crashes on that double plus many flat landings from over jumping the double.

As far as abuse...um nope. none of those crashes were intentional. I need to get the suspension sorted out as this truck kicks way too hard in the rear. It also does not stabalize in the air with throttle or brake usage. This truck should swallow that track like it were nothing and hopefully with a few mods it will with very few to no issues.

All in all it was a blast to drive it on the track and I look forward to more enjoyment out of this truck in the future. cant wait until my racing partner gets his in a few weeks so we can go at it together on the track. that should be a grand excursion. Might have to open an account with a parts supplier:D

twisted - bones

Ok here are the parts that were messed up. All in all not as bad as it looked.

2-21 parts 1a.jpg

2-21 parts 2a.jpg

2-21 parts 3a.jpg

/monthly_2010_02/583c605c5747f_2-21parts1a.jpg.d832f93917a8c7f13e9d9baed84c1aec.jpg

/monthly_2010_02/583c605c592b1_2-21parts2a.jpg.f040b89a5f696ca3177500f7b9df40ea.jpg

/monthly_2010_02/583c605c5ad60_2-21parts3a.jpg.10cd6a91ad7a8892f0d3b0d6f03fc360.jpg

twisted - bones

actually its not too bad. not having a center dif makes some of the sharper corners difficult but over all its an average difficulty track. It is located in Avon Park Florida. Before they downsized it a year or so ago it was the largest RC off road track in Florida.

6victor6

Contributor
I hear ya on that rear kicking up issue.. I haven't had much time to run mine yet but in that time its obvious that the rear end needs to be settled down when leaving a jump.. I really like the way it handles on the ground but airborne?... I've been thinking of stretched chassis too.

You mentioned the lack of a center diff.... I've ran 8th scale before but maybe not enough to fully understand the advantages of a center diff.. I would think the straight link between front and back would create more predictable handling... What am I missing?

twisted - bones

The center diff allows for fluid tuning from front to rear. You can partially control over steer and under steer with a center diff. This is done by puting different viscosity lubes in the three differentials. A solid drive like the Ramp has tends to push in the corners under acceleration which makes it hard to get around tight corners on tracks with any kind of speed or control. a center diff also allows for separated front and rear brake tuning which also helps with cornering stability. If you are just a basher with no interest in racing and spend most of your time going in a straight line then you would not really benefit from a center diff. However if you are into racing on tracks you will learn to love its adjustability and handling characteristics.

twisted - bones

ready for another goWell its back together. don't know if I will get a chance to drive it this weekend. Have a race in south Florida for my truggy. might see if they will let me run exhibition with it. Anyways there will be a new one in the stalls this coming week. Bought a 4x4 dunerunner and everything needed to turn it into a SC as well. Both will get track time the following weekend no matter what!:DWill try to get some video then.

repaired.jpg

/monthly_2010_03/repaired.jpg.0b7a5d6fb1787ab0c124daf785cd14ba.jpg

6victor6

Contributor
twisted - bones said:
The center diff allows for fluid tuning from front to rear. You can partially control over steer and under steer with a center diff. This is done by puting different viscosity lubes in the three differentials. A solid drive like the Ramp has tends to push in the corners under acceleration which makes it hard to get around tight corners on tracks with any kind of speed or control. a center diff also allows for separated front and rear brake tuning which also helps with cornering stability. If you are just a basher with no interest in racing and spend most of your time going in a straight line then you would not really benefit from a center diff. However if you are into racing on tracks you will learn to love its adjustability and handling characteristics.
Wow.. well put .. thanks... I can see that.. I had an mbx5 I raced and it handled great!I had just set it up per recommendations I found on the internet.. I guess I took the center diff for granted. :rolleyes: I don't think I've had enough wheel time with the ramp to fully get a feel for it.

So, you gonna SC a dune runner? Looking forward to seeing that!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts