• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

1/5 scale supercharger

Sheppy 800

Does anyone know if there is a company that makes a 2 stroke supercharger for the hy engine?

RampageHopUps

None that actually work. You would be better off spending your money at one of the engine builders like OBR or Dogpile or Flowsystem Racing.

alfred e numan

I do not think a supercharger will work on the intake of a 2 cycle engine. i very well could be mistaken though. A pipe- tuned exhaust- expansion chamber- fitted to a 2 cycle engine is sort of a supercharger. It increases the volume of air- fuel- burned exhaust gases by reflecting these waves of pressure back and forth.

G

Roughly how much h.p. does the 30cc engine put out with a dominator pipe and wt990 carb. ?
IMO 3 to 3.5 for the stocker. Others may disagree. For those who have built or replaced it with a modded engine it is a night and day difference over stock.

krebidoux

i put the jetpro side pipe on mine and it helped. then i put a f270 motor in it, and i'll never touch the stock one again. maybe to put a real topend on it. night and day.

TerraKill

superchargers and turbos wont work on 2-strokers as both ports are open at the same time so it cannot hold any boost created by a supercharger, however if you did fit one they do smoothen out the powerband and stops lowend bogging

ive ran one of them gimik superchargers on my savage before and thats all it did, :) i had to try it was a steal on ebay, but i took it off for 2 reasons,

im pritty sure it was achally staving my engine of air at high end rpms (i cant prove it tho, could of been a number of things)

and its just a pita to work around, and would of easly broken it with a bad crash

ohh i forgot to mention, they increase fuel consumption by like 50% as most of it was just being blown out the exhaust

heres an explination from a user on a motorbike forum i use, he explains it very well

"Possible but difficult; on a 2-stroke, the exhaust port is open while the fuel-air mixture is forced into the cylinder. With a turbo you would blow a lot of the new charge out the exhaust pipe. Besides the horrendous fuel consumption there would be little pressure increase and HP gain. The exhaust could be tuned to provide an immense amount of backpressure enabling use of the more dense charge, but the engine would only run well within a very small RPM range."

Last edited by a moderator:

Michaels12

Yes ...having a "relative to crank speed " exhaust valve makes it much simpler to retain the intake charge...

There is no simple bolt on solution, or it would have been exploited by the Japanese motorcycle industry decades ago....

rctriggerman

TerraKill said:
superchargers and turbos wont work on 2-strokers as both ports are open at the same time so it cannot hold any boost created by a supercharger, however if you did fit one they do smoothen out the powerband and stops lowend bogging ive ran one of them gimik superchargers on my savage before and thats all it did, :) i had to try it was a steal on ebay, but i took it off for 2 reasons,

im pritty sure it was achally staving my engine of air at high end rpms (i cant prove it tho, could of been a number of things)

and its just a pita to work around, and would of easly broken it with a bad crash

ohh i forgot to mention, they increase fuel consumption by like 50% as most of it was just being blown out the exhaust

heres an explination from a user on a motorbike forum i use, he explains it very well

"Possible but difficult; on a 2-stroke, the exhaust port is open while the fuel-air mixture is forced into the cylinder. With a turbo you would blow a lot of the new charge out the exhaust pipe. Besides the horrendous fuel consumption there would be little pressure increase and HP gain. The exhaust could be tuned to provide an immense amount of backpressure enabling use of the more dense charge, but the engine would only run well within a very small RPM range."
That explanation sums it up... 30cc its one cyclinder, both ports open same time, more pressure just blows it out faster...

alfred e numan

gotta look at power to weight ratio also- and the money spent. The expansion chamber is a supercharger - of sorts. there are several styles of velocity stacks out there- these help also.

krebidoux

just rebuilt the f270 with an obr 30.5 stroker and a stuffed crank. all the power needed. running 35/25/25/25 and 5t tires. only 3 tanks through it and not even close to being tuned (after some high speed runs the plug was very black and wet) the tires tore the grass when i squeezed the trigger. also running an 813 carb on it and a stock mufler.

G

A good ported motor with a matched pipe is better than bolt on hp gimmicks. ;)

Deano

Hi,

I owned and built 471GM engines and the reason superchargers work on these engines and not your typical two stroke engine is the GM engines have exhaust valves instead of an exhaust port. there is not flow through so you are able to hold pressure in the intake port chamber plus the intake pressure does not cycle through the crank area as the piston moves up the cylinder...

hope this makes sense

Haavi

Bigboyztoys said:
I've been considering a supercharger for the stock 30cc by redcat. I've read so many negative posts regarding the actual advantages. And several people quote the same thing over and over and over. "The physics this and the physics that". And "you can't super charge a two stroke" my cousin's daddy's sisters boyfriend said so. Fact, you can supercharge a two stroke. Detroit 671,471,371. built by GM came asperated in three ways. There are many configurations of that motor. Also, if you wanted even more power you could order a turbo/supercharged version. Facts;Detroit 671 is a two stroke. Fact; 671 Detroit was a very reliable engine. Fact. It performed much better than the naturally aspirated version. Fact; the engine was bullet proof but loud. Fact; you could run the engine in both directions with an oil pump mod.. Fact; the supercharged 671 is being used in an array of applications today right now, and the engine is over. 40 years old. So if a supercharger and a turbo work on a v6 two stroke why won't it run on a 30cc?
What you are leaving out is that the Detroit engines are indeed 2-strokes but they have exhaust valves unlike the engines in our RC cars. I work on many different diesel engines including Detroits on a daily basis. (Mechanic. US Army. Afghanistan)

Last edited by a moderator:

alfred e numan

There have been many types of engines made over the years. About a decade ago, there was this fellow from AU that made a new type of 2 stroke. Had it fitted in a car. Very low usage. Hi tech oil injection. Watched him stand on the gas peial fron a dead start and posi out both rear tires. Power to weight ratio! - Long ago, There was a German motorcycle company called Macio. They had a prototype engine called a two four cycle. Ran as a 4 stroke at lower rpm, as the rpms increased, the ports opened up, spark timing changed, and it became a 2 stroke. Yea, the ports- it operated somewhat like the power valve in the old KDX 200-220 Kawasaki engines, ball ramp- gillotine style. Honda had a F-1 engine called a drum valve, Instead of reprocating valves, it used rotating hollow drums on the top end. The F-1 people changed the rules causing Honda to mothball the idea. As far as i know, the F-1 engines use compressed air instead of valve springs now. Yup, there have been many foward thinking ideas over the years- Heck, in the early 60s Chrysler had a car with a turbine engine--

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts