• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XB input needed please

46u

I have been in the RC hobby for about 20 years. I have 20 or better RC vehicles only large scale I have is a HPI 5b SS. I have been wanting a large scale 4-wheel drive buggy and since the only large scale track any where near me closed I will be mostly bashing for now. I sure do miss racing! Seems the XB might be a good choice and have some questions about it.

1 How durable are they? How do the shocks hold up?

2 How good are the stock servos and is this something I need to change right away? I have some extra good large scale servos for steering as well as a good spare standard servo for brake and throttle. I have read where they have a habit of burning up is this so?

3 How reliable are the HY engines? I have read that some of the engines that do not come with the Walbor carbs have given some people problems. I have 4 engines for my 5b SS would I be better off taking out the stock motor in the XB selling it and putting one of my spares in?

4 Other then a good pipe is there any up grades that should be done ASAP? Is the alloy gear plate recommended?

5 How well does the XB fly (in the air off a jump)?

6 What are the weak points on this buggy if any?

7 Looking at the manual it looks like the XB only has two spider gears in the diff is this correct and if so how well do they hold up?

8 I run the CPI pipes on my 5b SS and really like them. On the CPI web site looks like they have the Rampage pipe mounted on the 5TT will this pipe work on the XB? I sent Mike at CPI an email asking him about fitment.

First thing I will do if I get it is install my radio system and a remote kill switch that I all ready have.

I am sure I will have other questions but this should be a good start! LOL

THANKS!

46u

I am sorry to say after reading the sticky (The XT - XB - XB-E Improvement Thread) most of my questions have been answered in a bad way I am sorry to say. But the good news is it seems they are trying to work the problems out. Will see what happens down the road.

JimmyJay

Don't let that discussion thread turn you away too quickly! I have an XT with about 15 tanks through it. They only issues I've had is the tire foams turning to dust after about 5 tanks, and the stock exhust breaking apart at the weld seam after about 12 tanks. I made my own tire foams and now just waiting on a jetpro pipe. Everything else is stock and holding up fine...so far!

46u

From what I gather the XT is built better then the XB and seems the XB has more problems. I am not giving up just waiting to see what solutions they come up with. Do you or any one know how long the XB has been on the market?

Thanks

RampageHopUps

The Xb and the XT are the same thing, just different tires and bodies. There won;t be any massive changes like in a Version #2, so you may as well get one when you are ready.

DemonRC

1 How durable are they? How do the shocks hold up?

Like most RTR's there are upgrades needed to fix weak spots in the car. The biggest weak spot is the servos because they will go out on you sooner or later. The plastic gears will also go out sooner or later. Also, the 19mm bearings in the stock hubs will wear out. Good thing is there are upgrade parts to fix all those issues. All in all it's not much compared to what you need to do to an HPI. The XT/XB was released early this year. I've been running a pre release factory version since last June with zero part support. I really just needed the platform for test fitment for some new parts and I'm honestly suprised I kept it running 8 months with no spare parts.

2 How good are the stock servos and is this something I need to change right away? I have some extra good large scale servos for steering as well as a good spare standard servo for brake and throttle. I have read where they have a habit of burning up is this so?

Replace the electronics right off the bat and save the stock stuff as backup.

3 How reliable are the HY engines? I have read that some of the engines that do not come with the Walbor carbs have given some people problems. I have 4 engines for my 5b SS would I be better off taking out the stock motor in the XB selling it and putting one of my spares in?

I'd run the hell outta it till it blows up. There are plenty of guys here that are getting good life out of them.

4 Other then a good pipe is there any up grades that should be done ASAP? Is the alloy gear plate recommended?

I'd recommend the 7075RC knuckles front and rear.

5 How well does the XB fly (in the air off a jump)?

Look in the video section for some of Lightforce's video's. He's jumped he hell out of a pretty decent size jump in several of the video's.

6 What are the weak points on this buggy if any?

See #1.

7 Looking at the manual it looks like the XB only has two spider gears in the diff is this correct and if so how well do they hold up?

Don't worry about the spider gears. You will break something else before those go out. I can't recall anybody ever mangling a set. Also, if you wanna sleep better you can always add 2 more since the diff housing is from the MT/TT which uses 4 spiders. All they did was remove 2.

8 I run the CPI pipes on my 5b SS and really like them. On the CPI web site looks like they have the Rampage pipe mounted on the 5TT will this pipe work on the XB? I sent Mike at CPI an email asking him about fitment.

I've seen it on a MT and TT so it should run on the XT and XB. I'm sure the CPI guys will confirm.

46u

RampageHopUps said:
The Xb and the XT are the same thing, just different tires and bodies. There won;t be any massive changes like in a Version #2, so you may as well get one when you are ready.
Are there plans for a version #2? The bearing problem is it because the bearings are poor grade or they just too small? How about the CVD cups breaking? I sure wish they sold a roller kit with out engine or electrics. Have not bought a RTR in quite a while.

Thanks all for the input.

Last edited by a moderator:

46u

DemonRC said:
I'd recommend the 7075RC knuckles front and rear.
I found some alloy knuckles made by RedCat that have a different part number. Are those the ones you are talking about?

RedCat number 710013 and 710006. But like many of the RedCat up grades are out of stock.

If you are talking about different ones please post a link.

Thanks

46u

I am going to list some things on eBay working on getting up the money and have another question. Would I be better off replacing the carb with a Walbro 668 before I ever start it?

I defiantly will be replacing the servos, installing my radio gear and a Killer Bee remote switch before I run it. I have all these items all ready. I all so hope to replace the knuckles with the 7075 RC knuckles before I run it as well.

Other then going over everything and making sure all metal to metal fasteners have loctite any other up grades or things I should do before running?

Thanks all for the input!

Obeast44

Banned
Yup thats pretty much it man, you got all the bases covered. I would try the stock carb first, it may be just fine. They seem to be hit or miss on whether or not ya get a good one.

46u

Obeast44 said:
Yup thats pretty much it man, you got all the bases covered. I would try the stock carb first, it may be just fine. They seem to be hit or miss on whether or not ya get a good one.
With the luck I have had in my 57 years on this earth I will get one with a bad carb. LOL But will not hurt to try it as I can all ways change it later. I have even thought about pulling the stock motor and putting one of my spares in and selling the stock motor to help me with the cost of it. Wonder what I could get for the stock motor if I never crank it?

Thanks!

xbeNewb

I'm super happy with my XB-E (electric XB)

You'll want the 7075rc bearing holders for sure and I'd replace the servos Right away too

My xbe steering servo died in short order and my TT throttle servo caused me to have a runaway : )

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts