• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XB absolutely will not start.

F-Fanatic

Nothing. Nada. Only been running for about a week, maybe 5-6 tanks in, and this happens. That being said, I popped open the roll cage and took out the spark plug. Connected it to wire and held it against the metal engine cooling fins to check for spark and got none when I cranked the engine. Do spark plugs usually go bad this soon?

The carb has always been checked, air filter always kept clean, and the vehicle was broken in with the standard 2 tanks of idle, two of no higher throttle than 1/2, and then regular driving on fifth tank. I occasionally left gas in the tank, as I saw no point in pouring it out when it was only going to sit overnight/a day, tops. Cannot get enough of this beast. Any helpful hints? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

The factory installed plugs are junk. I've had one go bad on the first tank.

Replace the plug.

F-Fanatic

You've been a big help, RCD. Appreciate it, I'll order a new one tonight. Any stipulation on how long gas should stay in the fuel tank? Can the plug get fouled up if you don't run the vehicle dry?

Restomod

No need to order one, most auto parts stores have the NGK CMR7H. In fact Auto Zone has them chepest around here. Most likely if you let it idle through 2 tanks (thats Nitro break in not gas) the plug is done....

F-Fanatic

Ahaa, really? Funny how it didn't die until the sixth tank, then. Ran like a dream in between. If you don't idle break-in, then what is the proper procedure? I called Redcat Racing's tech support during break-in for tuning questions later on, and was told that these engines prefer a lower RPM break-in, idle being perfect for that. Thoughts?

rcgasser

With idling 2 tanks it probly took that many tanks for all the gas to burn off of the plug. There are many different break in process told by many different people but none of them will include a 2 tank idle break in the key to break in is to vary the rpm and cycling to make the ring set.

G

It doesn't hurt them to heat cycle break in. That's kind of what they are telling you. If you do it that way give it throttle once and awhile to very rpms. Honestly you can dive it easy for the first tank and you will be fine. Second tank have fun. By about the 5th tank it will start to come alive.

F-Fanatic

I just watched a video confirming all of what you both said. Damn you, poorly translated owner's manual! Appreciate it, guys. I'll have to remember this for new engines/models later on. There's no way I'm just stopping at an XB. Got my eye on a fairly sexy new vehicle for the later months, when finances allow it and I'm ready to expand a bit.

http://www.nitrorcx.com/newrtrexrcba1.html

alfred e numan

I would stay with the redcats. Its all about being able to find and buy parts after the sale. Redcat dealers are everywhere on the internet. If one dealer happens to be out of stock with the part you need- chances are you will be able to find the part tru somone else. Also, the support you have allready seen on this site - the spark plug trouble is worth its weight in gold. Also, lots of redcat parts are interchangeable, so, in a tight spot- you can easly be running agan. No, I do not work for redcat. I am just another member of this site. have a good one, have fun with the XB- I shure enjoy mine!!

rampagemt

Re: XB absolutely will not start.

Hope your up and running soon and it was just a spark plug. Good luck dude

ChuenouXiao

F-Fanatic said:
I just watched a video confirming all of what you both said. Damn you, poorly translated owner's manual! Appreciate it, guys. I'll have to remember this for new engines/models later on. There's no way I'm just stopping at an XB. Got my eye on a fairly sexy new vehicle for the later months, when finances allow it and I'm ready to expand a bit.http://www.nitrorcx.com/newrtrexrcba1.html
To be honest with you, whatever brand you choose... make sure you have great part support. Since you've already own a XB, I recommend you stick with it. Redcat has lots of parts available online and this forum is very helpful too. Trust me, you will be replacing many parts and taking apart your XB is very common :D Enjoy!

blak__jak

i don't know if you checked the red kill switch or not but they have been known to stick and cause a no spark situation. if so you can usually push it a couple times and it will pop back out. look closely at it kind hard to tell it's stuck. should feel a little spring'ee if not stuck.

G

blak__jak said:
i don't know if you checked the red kill switch or not but they have been known to stick and cause a no spark situation. if so you can usually push it a couple times and it will pop back out. look closely at it kind hard to tell it's stuck. should feel a little spring'ee if not stuck.
Good point that is a possibility. I would still always upgrade the factory plug. They seem to be poorly insulated and reek havoc on the electronics.

blak__jak

plus1 on plug but trying to cover all the no spark issues i could think of with my limited resources.

alfred e numan

wet plugs. i have did this for many years to lawn mowers-weed eaters-and now on ocassion r-c plugs.- If its wet-fouled, break out the propane torch and heat the plug. not red hot- just enough that it smokes a little- this will dry it out. agan, not red hot- just enough heat that the plug smokes a little- yea, hold the plug with pliers or the plug wrench- you knew that allready, just saying---

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts