• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

X-mass present for my self - thinking of Rampage

k_h_d

I was dead set on getting a HPI Savage XL. Everything I have seen seems like its so stable, durable, and handles jumping really well. However I just came across the 1/5 scale rampage and its not that much more expensive than the smaller nitro Savage.

Other than the obvious size difference can anyone compare the pros and cons of the larger Rampage MT over a Savage XL? Which motor is louder? Is the rampage as stable and tough as the Savage seems to be?

I know they are two totally different trucks, I am just interested on a comparison as to the biggest differences in how they run, handle, and just plain fun factor...

Thanks,

Kenny

RampageHopUps

The Savage is an awesome nitro truck. Unless you have ever run nitro, you will never know the joy of instant speed and the pain of tuning.

The Rampage has come a long way for durability and fun factor. Plus, the gas is cheaper and the tuning is much easier. Not bullet proof, but much easier.

Read on and ask any questions about the Rampage.

racetruck

just to add alittle you don't have to tune 1/3 as much and the engines will last longer and cheaper to rebuild the noise will be abit louder if you get one of the tuned pipes ( deeper tone ) things still break because the truck is heavy with a bad crash all and all they hold up good :D

krashkrieg

Contributor
If you want to learn to tune a Nitro (big learning curve and re-tune every time the weather changes) pay $30+ a gallon for fuel...then get a Savage

If you want a manly truck that you can upgraded to go as fast as the savage nitro, real easy to tune and easy to work on..then go for a Rampage...

I have just as much fun with my Rampage as with my Savage Flux (real instant speed), just two different types of fun. :cool: ...(Personally, I'm NEVER going back to Nitro)

DemonRC

I'll never run a nitro again. I'm sure most of the guys here and any 5th scale forum will concurr.

For me I couldn't stand hauling around a tuning screwdriver, temp sensor, glow starter, and rotostart everywhere I went just to run 10 minutes worth of fuel. Tuning was a pain and I couldn't stand blowing $30 of fuel in one weekend. $30 worth of gas would last me most of the year.

Oh and working on a Savage is a PITA. I hated working on mine. The TVP design is a durable design but not easy to work on.

Obeast44

Banned
Everyone has made some seriously good points. What keeps me coming back is the size, sound and just the way they look when they are running. :)

REVOlutionary Rampage

I'll concurr with the others in the fact that a Rampage is MUCH easier to tune, pretty easy to work on, and most of the major parts are comparable to nitro. I have both, and I havent so much as looked at my Revo since I got my Rampage in August.

BTXpress

Contributor
Kenny,

I have never owned a Savage, but I have several other Nitros. I just purchased my Xmas gift today... brand new MT from Rob! I have been wanting a 1/5 gas car/truck for a while. I have a gas powered boat, and I love the size, sound, tuning of the larger vehicles and gas engines. My nitro cars always seemed more touchy to tuning than my nitro Heli.

This is not a negative, but something to consider... where do you plan on running your choice? Bigger would need more space, do you have a track near by? Ultimately, it comes down to the individual, but most Gassers I have talked with run their Nitro's MUCH less since getting into Gas and I do believe I will very much be the same way very soon!

BT

hamster huey

Yeah Gasoline or electric all the way!

Rampage: sounds like a dirt bike, clumsy big and heavy-awkward to transport, much lower maintenance, doesn't jump well, very easy to wrench on, just as fast as 1/8 nitro or electtrics when both built and geared to 50mph, set it and forget it tuning, parts last longer, each tank uses generally less than 500mah even on digital servos so you can go all day almost on a high mah pack, doesn't fit most RC tracks, etc.

Savage: cost of operation is more especially in 1 year, no killswtich, sounds like a cool wind up toy, dirty, great jumper, have to tinker w/tuning all the time, lots of parts to wear-clutch,bearings,tires,bodies,shocks, after run maintenance, after run cleaning, high fuel cost, lots of equipment to lug around for playtime, smaller so easier to carry around/store, can fit on most RC tracks, etc.

I honestly wouldnt even consider a nitro savage but a 1/8 brushless truck/truggy alongside a rampage would much better take care of all your cravings. Rampage first...E savage (or ??) later if cost is an issue.

DemonRC

Everytime somebody mentions a savage I keep thinking about the other weekend when my car ran into one and punted it 15 feet.

k_h_d

Thanks for all the great info guys. I have been into RC planes (mostly large electrics) for about 10 years. A Savage Flux would be great but its smaller than I was wanting. I have had a few RC cars here and there but nothing major. Anybody have any links to online dealers who sells the Redcat? I am interested in the RTR kits that have the 2.4ghz tx/rx combo. With those combos is there anything else needed to run it out of the box?

I am not planning on racing this, just for fun...

Last edited by a moderator:

k_h_d

Oh, what about the Dune Runner? From videos it does not handle the bumps like the Rampage does. That being said it looks like the Savage XL handles bumps better than the Rampage but that could just be the videos I have seen.

k_h_d

In regards to the tuning concerns. Are nitro cars that hard to tune? For years before electric planes I flew glow planes and it was pretty easy to tune.

hamster huey

Not hard to tune but require frequent tuning. Gasoline does not. Ill PM you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts