• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

X Can Problem!

MOfroggy

I have an X-Can with 6" stingers on my truck and I can't keep the stingers on. I locked them down tight with red locktite and let it sit for 24 hours and they still vibrated loose. I am wondering a couple of things:

1.) If I cut them off to 3" or 4" would I have the same problem? Would there be a noticeable difference in performance between 3" and 6" or is the extra length for looks only?

2.) Is there any way to put a lock nut on the inside to lock them in place? I can't determine what the thread pattern is.

I guess I could get Sprint77 to weld them on for me or we could make a bracket to hold the two pipes together and then go from the bracket to a couple of the screw holes that hold the muffler together.

RampageHopUps

The next thing you can try is to thread them all the way in with red loctite, then take a punch and deform one of the threads from the inside. I don't know the thread size, but its defintiely not something you can go to teh hardware store and get a nut for.

Timmahh

i seen a good mod someone was doing on HBF. they took the back plate off, and screwed the stingers in. then he used a flanging tool to put a small flange on the part of the stingers the protruded thru the end.

being aluminum, you may be able to heat it up, flux it and get a bit of solder to hold them in. i havnt tried this, but it could work out well enough to hold the stingers tight.

just a thought

T

Trtboy

I use the 3 inch stingers on my MT and have run for about an hour. Haven't had any problems yet. I guess we'll see. The threads on my stingers going into the can were not too easy to thread on. I hope you get it worked out.

Cheers.

Shiny

Good ideas. The Flanging and the dent from the inside.

I am skeptical about the Solder method, the exhaust temp is pretty high, it mite melt the solder.

MOfroggy

I put red loctite on the threads, screwed the stingers in, put safety wire on the inside between the pipes, put two c clips on each stinger on the inside threads then put JB weld on top of that. I then mounted the stinger assembly on the case and put safety wire between the ends of the pipes. If they come loose I am throwing it away!!

I found out that the thread patten is 5/8"-32 in case anybody needs to know.

-------------

MOfroggy

Last edited by a moderator:

MOfroggy

IMG_0044.jpg Well, Here is the results of all my efforts.......you have read what all I did to lock the X-can stingers down. I went out tonight and after about 30 minutes of running here is what happened. (see photo). I am going to make some comments, and before anybody get's their knickers in a knot because I am talking about a possible friend of yours and a great contributor to this forum and the HBF forum I am going to preface the following statement with: "The X-Can doesn't work on my truck!!!" The X-Can is obviously a very successful pipe in a lot of applications but in my application on the Rampage with 6" stingers it won't hold together. You have read what all I did to lock it down and NONE of those things worked apparently. I stated before that I was going to throw it in the trash but there is one more option that I am going to try. I am going to try to talk Sprint77 into tig welding the SOB together so that a lot of other things are going to come apart before the stingers become unwelded. You know what the scarey thing is.....when I took it apart to see what was going on in the inside the housing, the 4 c clips, the safety wire and all of the JB weld was missing as if it never existed!!!!!! I sure hope it came out the stripped out exhaust ports along with the stingers!!!!! (There are NO threads left in the housing). I ran the engine for about 10 minutes after the stingers fell off and there were no strange noises or any problems. I pulled the X-Can and inspected the exhaust side of the piston and there was no damage and the piston rotated with no apparent problems so maybe I got lucky and the bits and pieces that were internally installed were "Up Chucked" out of the main housing when the stingers came off. (Trust me, even I find that hard to believe, but time will tell!!!).

Last edited by a moderator:

Sprint 77

Contributor
Lets put your modified HPI SS pipe back on and I will weld that one up for someone else on forum needing something to start with.

RampageHopUps

I was just about to write "all that crap is going to get sucked into the engine". Let me know if you want a free replacement with 1" stingers and the silicone tubing.

MOfroggy

I will take a shot of the braces when I get back from Dallas for my Grandson's B-day. The braces (on both sides) make me feel a lot more confident that chassis flex is definitely not a contributing factor in my X-Can problems. The braces are rock solid and well made and contribute a LOT to the stiffness of the Rampage rear end. As massive as the frame is we both have seen that the chassis does flex and needs some help. The braces you have designed definitely fix this problem.

MOfroggy

RampageHopUps said:
I was just about to write "all that crap is going to get sucked into the engine". Let me know if you want a free replacement with 1" stingers and the silicone tubing.
Rob,

I bought the X-Can along with my second Baja and took it off the Baja and installed it on the MT. I do not IN ANY WAY expect you to fix this problem for me. Sprint77 and I will work out a fix.

Thanks for the offer, but it is not your problem to have to solve.

MOfroggy

MOfroggy

Tell Mark thanks for the offer and that I appreciate it. I think I can solve the problem without too much hassle.

MOfroggy

Sprint 77

Contributor
Now that is customer service, trying to fix a problem you didn't even sell. Thanks Rob and TGN that is good to know. I have seen MoFroggy pipe and seen the fix be no problem for us. Save your energy for someone without the means as MoFroggy said. But I do want to agree with MoFroggy thanks for the offer and effort.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts