• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

WOT in air

Ice_2k

Just wanted to hear from more people about whether revving the engine in mid-air to 16-17.000rpm is bad for the engine. I know some people tune it this way, others said it's risky, others say that those saying is risky are too used to nitros and so on. So, what do you guys think? Is it bad for the engine to max it out without being on the ground?

designed2survive

Ice_2k said:
Anyone?...
Overreving engine is one of the issue as the load is now different. Those engine are designed to go up to a certain max rpm. Pass that and vibration, lubrication, tolerance between parts can become an issue and create havoc.

I know you can read the rpms on your TX and you could be careful not to rev past 17k rpm. But keep in mind those are air cooled engine therefore they need constant air flow to not overheat at high rpms. Unless you come up with a way of cooling it while stationed.

The ones that get away with it know what their max rpm looks and sounds like and know what further adjustments would be needed once on the ground.

My 2 cents.

On a side note, those engines are so easy to tune once you know what to look for that any misbehavior is a sign of an issue somewhere (big or small).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ice_2k

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about cooling, I was under the impression that the flywheel is the one creating the necessary airflow.

So you're saying that 17.000rpm is about as high as these engines are designed to go? Do you happen to also know what a good operating temperature is for these engines? And maybe what a maximum temperature I should look out for?

designed2survive

Ice_2k said:
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about cooling, I was under the impression that the flywheel is the one creating the necessary airflow. So you're saying that 17.000rpm is about as high as these engines are designed to go? Do you happen to also know what a good operating temperature is for these engines? And maybe what a maximum temperature I should look out for?
I'm not familiar with the redcat 32cc nor do I know the max operating temp and no load max rpm but by comparison the g320rc has a no load max rpm of 22k rpm.

Ice_2k

Wow, 22k?! That's a lot :)

BertR

Tuning on the stand is OK if you have the skills but not always the best way! I do it to a degree but the then have to make further adjustments once under load to dial it in. 3/4 throttle on the stand is about as far as I go.

RampageHopUps

You can get close in the air, but your final tune needs to be under load. Running in the air used to stretch the crank in the olden days.

Ice_2k

WOT in air

Ok, thanks. Since I understand there is some truth in the claim that this can damage the engine and considering my lack of experience, I think I'm gonna avoid doing this. Thanks for the input, guys!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts