• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

why are we running gear covers?

kryptonite

so i jinxed myself.. i had great luck with the mt and its drive gears untill last weakend. and my tt goes thru a set of gears every 3 tanks(mcd's)

so my question is why. why are we running gear covers? besides hpi, nobody runs gear covers.. fg.. harm.. mcd(?).. titan.. lout.. we have ilimanated all the posibillities like fast eddy bearings, alum gear plate, better quality plastic(mcd) and some have even tried grease.. but i pulled my gear cover off and !DAMN! its hot. we put the ramtech c/d's and now we go thru a/b's. were just transfering the heat to the next weak link.. we don't need to worry bout rocks getting in there or mud and dirt doing damage.. the heat takes care of that for us. im just guessing, but those gears are spinning at 60,000rpm's.. no rocks are gona get in there. i think that we should modify our gear covers. im not talking about drilling some pilate holes eather.. what if we cut the outside out around the a/b/c gears and leave the d gear covered. just for a peice of mind.. the thing is that REDCAT is getting hazed for this. i ran stock (used) gears thru a modded mt and tt in sandy,muddy,rocky conditions for three tanks with no gear covers.. they look brand new!!

after at least 7 sets of gears it has come to me... its just too freakin hot in there..

yolonda21

Contributor
As you can see in this pic i vented the hell out of my gear cover, since venting i never melt my gears. Before venting i melted them every tant or two.

rampage.jpg

kryptonite

so them little pilate holes work, ha? i have an extra gear cover thats cracked. i guess i will try and trim it out to see how it works.. after rethinking i guess running with out a gear cover would fix one problem and create another.. still think we just need to "air out" the gears a little better

Z

ZielkeRacing

I am going to try it now, I hope it works better than last time. I also ordered the aluminum plate, I just have the upgraded one. I will try and get a vid too. I will also take a pic of the cover.

Z

ZielkeRacing

I just ran my first full tank, I left the cover off and ran great! I ran the cover for less then 5 minutes and checked the gears. It seams like the a&b brake in a bit and the plastic that is chewed embedded itself into the teeth. I used a small flat screwdriver to remove the debris and then ran without the cover. Seems to be fine. The pics is after I ran the truck. This is how they looked after I removed the debris. They were very tight when I installed them (redcat gears) all stock. After a minute they loosed up.

P4290041.jpg

/monthly_2009_04/P4290041.jpg.4bacbb6b019159c30414c924ee5dbc3d.jpg

kryptonite

thats how my stock c/d gears look too. kinda choppy, but they held up just fine for the 3-4 tanks i put on them. im running stock redcat gears in both my rigs now.. cleared out all my mcd's. i will be running a modded gear cover this weakend and see how long they last.

Rammer

Has anyone had any trouble with dirt , sand ,or grass ,getting in the holes they drilled in the gear covers , after a run ?????? :eek:

kryptonite

rammer has the same point i was thinking of. fg's don't have a problem running no gear cover, but with the holes it may "keep" dirt on the inside. yolanda should coment on this as he has done the same. i opened up the side of the cover, but have cut 2 slits on the bottom for dirt to excape. im hopeing i have better luck this weakend. i only have one set of spares for each rig and alot of fuel.. :D

kryptonite

here is my gear cover modd. i didnt have any issues when i had the cover compltly off, but when i cut the outside it let dirt build up on the bottom of the cover. the mesh workes perfect. i have run both rigs wide open throttle for for tank-after tank and gears show little to no sign of wear. these are also stock redcat gears as i blew thru 5 sets of mcd's..

gear cover mod 001.jpg

/monthly_2009_05/583c60586cb9d_gearcovermod001.jpg.79edd812db89e6ffb57bfc21f9ff6885.jpg

kryptonite

i like the vent tube idea. i think that would be the best for keeping stuff out..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts