• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Which one?

caprini83

I am getting ready to buy a Redcat Rampage for the first time and I have no idea which one to buy. I own a HPI Baja 5SC, I was looking at all the Rampage Gassers and I don't know which one to get.

Any suggestions would be great. I like buggies and MT's, I also wanted to know what the difference between the MT and the XT besides the motor and the size difference.

What are some of the first things you should change on the Rampage trucks/buggies when buying one?

caprini83

Didn't see much for help on which Rampage to get though.

dozer187

well thats really dependent what u want it for....for bashing id go either xt or mt for racing tt or xb.....for any of them you want to upgrade the servos right out of the box the stock servos suck ass honestly.

dozer187

the mt is 2 steering servos and 1 throttle....i believe the tt is the same the xb and xt are both one steering one throttle.....the radio is decent...good for basic tooling around but i would swap it eventually.....oh and a killswitch/failsafe like the killer bee is a must for these trucks

caprini83

dozer187 said:
the mt is 2 steering servos and 1 throttle....i believe the tt is the same the xb and xt are both one steering one throttle.....the radio is decent...good for basic tooling around but i would swap it eventually.....oh and a killswitch/failsafe like the killer bee is a must for these trucks
Killer RC killer bee is the first thing that would be put on. I will probably just get another receiver for my 4PL. Are the servos plastic gears?

I will be doing more bashing than anything else, the closest track to me is over 2 hours away so I wont be doing much of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

dozer187

yea there plastic gear....i swapped out for a hitech 645mg on throttle and 2 755mg for steering......they do they job real well....i have an mt btw....with the xt i would go with the 5755 or something similar for steering as its only one servo doin the turning now ....even tho the xt and xb are lighter id still want that extra torque for steering

caprini83

dozer187 said:
yea there plastic gear....i swapped out for a hitech 645mg on throttle and 2 755mg for steering......they do they job real well....i have an mt btw....with the xt i would go with the 5755 or something similar for steering as its only one servo doin the turning now ....even tho the xt and xb are lighter id still want that extra torque for steering
Does the mt hold up well for bashing? I'm still trying to figure out why they didn't put the 30cc motor in the bigger truck

dozer187

ive beaten the crap out of mine for about 4 gallons now and still havent broken ne thing yet and as for the engines im not really sure ....im guessing they wanted to get a bit more revs out of the engine? the 26's do rev higher than the 30's but ive had no problems with power on the 26 and im still using the stock can

caprini83

My hpi 5SC has a lot of power as well with the 26cc in it. The mt, xt, and the dunerunner are the ones I'm looking at. The dunerunner because there isn't much body to break, the the xt because of the 30cc, and the mt because its huge and has the most ground clearance.

dozer187

well ive had no hands on experience with the xt so i cant really speak for how well it holds up.....the mt seems like its a tank with what ive put it thru....the dune runner is pretty sturdy too but ive bent a chassis on one hittin a jump to hard but i guess that can happen with ne of em just seems less likely with the mt cuz of the larger tires

caprini83

I will probably go with the MT, it does have the highest ground clearance out of them all. The dunerunner I would be afraid of bending the frame. Are the MT's noise heavy?

I have seen some video's and it seems like they noise dive a lot or maybe it's the drivers.

chevy

the good thing about these redcats is you can go from buggy to mt with a wheel gear and body change or have mt and buggy wheels gears and body then you have both options, servos my mt/tt has one hitec 805bb for steering gonna upgrade to the hitec 805mg and for throttle hitec 645mg altho theirs faster servos if your looking for quicker response.

chevy

the good thing about these redcats is you can go from buggy to mt with a wheel gear and body change or have mt and buggy wheels gears and body then you have both options, servos my mt/tt has one hitec 805bb for steering gonna upgrade to the hitec 805mg and for throttle hitec 645mg altho theirs faster servos if your looking for quicker response.

caprini83

I think the MT it will be. I want to pick up a on road 1/5 scale also, but it doesn't look like Redcat makes a on road car anymore. So I was thinking of a Carson C-5, but I haven't seen much for reviews on them.

dozer187

ull definatly be happy with the mt i know i have been...what i would suggest u do tho is pick up sum tubing from home depot i think its 5/8 id and 3/4 od i gota double check on that...but i got that and put em around all the diff cups and have not lost a pin yet.....as for road cars http://www.mcdracing.com/cars_detail.php?car=Rally thats a really nice one...bit pricey but really n ice

Edit: the tubing is 5/8 id and 3/4 od tubing....its usually over by the piping and such and comes in like 10 ft lengths for like 8 bucks at least here in ny it is ne way

racetruck

I have played with the prototype XT and if i was you i would go with the XB buggie the body will hold up better than the XT body it has the same frame and they handle better than the MT just my 2 cents :D

lumber38

I have a XT about 2 months old. Some problems with loose hardware at first, but no major problems. Keep in mind that the servos will have to be replaced, I used HITECH's . One area that I'm running in to now is that steering quality suffers greatly unless you are moving and the faster the better. I think its the tire and foam quality. I'm considering using HPI adapters and tires hopefully that helps. Given the price It's worth it , I've spent more on nitros and had way more problems. Hopefully redcat or namero makes alloy upgrades , too much plastic, hope that helps.

Triggerman77

Contributor
I Just bought both Both XT and MT within the last month and Go MT For sure XT is a tuff truck but There no Substitute For The BEAST (MT) :D

In my Opinion Buy both Like I did and put the 30cc on the MT :D

I think the XT could be a turned into Buggy or even a Street car very easy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts