• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Whats prone to breaking with the MT?

Damien05

Hey guys new to the forum but not new to 5th scale. Ill give you a little background. I have a baja 5b and ive had it for a little over a year now. Ive been really into it ever sice i got it. I started out with nitro, but was getting annoyed with the constant tuning so i heard that gas is alot easier to run so i switched and never looked back. Like i said before ive had my baja for a while now so i know that things are prone to break. I usually like to find out for my self what breaks by trial and error but i figured that this would be easier. Currently my baja is about 80% done. Im just waiting for some jobs to open up on the rigs so i can go to work to afford more parts to finish it off. Ive done alot of reserch on what breaks on the 5b and what should be done to hinder the down time. Ive looked arround and from what i can tell there isnt very much for aftermarket parts for the mt like there is for the baja. Going into this i know that i will have to buy stock parts cause they break. On the baja it was the dogbones that would go with the stock ones and once i got some aftermarket ones they never broke again, and im guessing the mt's are the same way. The only thing is, that i havent seen very many replacement parts that are geared towards more strength rather looks. I know for the arms one can get aluminum ones but from what ive heard is that once they break they're garbage and the plastic ones have some play in them so they can take a bit more of a beating, which is why i went with RPM arms on my baja instead of alluminum. From the looks of it, parts are relitivly cheep so they wont break the bank when something does happen like with the baja. The other thing i was conserned about was my local hobby shops not carrying any replacement parts, but when i asked them if they could get any redcat products in, they havent even heard of them. :eek: i was supprised since i thought they were a good shop. But then when i thought about it, they only carried a few parts for the 5b anyway so its not like i was gonna miss out on any great service with them. So anyways sorry i think i got a bit off course on the reasoning on this thread.

I just really wanna know what parts should one keep as extra's. Im thinking dogbones, drive cups, arms stuff like that. I did see somone that used baja shocks on they're mt, which is kinda nice to see cause i know i can use some aftermarket ones that will be nice and strong, but has the shocks on the mt really been a problem? do they bend and break alot? Anyways if i could just get some idea's on what i should have as extra's so that im spending less time waiting for parts, and more time bashin. I thank you for all your input and sorry this thread is so long but i thought it would be inportant to stress that im not new to the 5th scale world, and i know that all of them have they're strong points and week points. Again thanks for any input, and i look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

Obeast44

Banned
I wish I could be more help but I don't have a v3 MT, mine are v2s. From what ive read they have just about all of the major problem areas fixed. The servos and the "c" and "d" gears would be the first two things I would upgrade. A killswitch is also highly recommended but considering you run an HPI Baja im sure you knew that :)

The V3s run CVDs, like the V2 MT Pro, keep an eye out for the CVD pins wiggling out during a run. They are flat spotted from the factory now but its still a good idea to keep a good eye on them.

As for the shocks, I only have the piggyback shocks with the 4mm shafts(v2 MT pro shocks). From what Ive read they have upgraded the V3s with the 5mm shafts and they have held up remarkably well. I have yet to bend a shock shaft running only the 4mm version. More than likely because I run shock limiting straps. Plus if you manage to bend a shock shaft after a huge jump, they are only like $5 to replace.

Hope that helps :)

rob64n

Contributor
try it with the cover first i run my cover to keep the dirt out, and for anything breaking i have a v3 on the way so i'll let you know, i already have two v1's in the family that i have all the bugs worked out so i'll put the v3 to the test on tues. when it gets here and give some feedback,lol. some of the guys have seen me run my v1 and know i'm not too easy but still drive a lil responsibly,lol.......

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.