• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

What would cause this

Stygian

Banned
Ok im looking at my xb that doesn't want to start to try and figure out why, it has a bunch of oil and what not all around the engine it's self, I have removed the carb and exhaust and took a few pics to show. Anyone know what would cause this and what I should look into first and if it could be the head gasket, anyone have a link to a diagram on how it comes apart, because I have never taken one of these engines apart before. Just a few notes, this XB is only about one month old and has only had one tank of gas ran through it.

F9eXlJwl.jpg

a33NM7Xl.jpg

G

To me it looks like the oil is above the head gasket and the gasket area looks clean. To me it looks more like an exhaust leak. An exhaust leak would not cause your starting issue.

Stygian

Banned
Ryneito said:
Looks like an exhaust leak
That's what I was thinking, I pulled off the exhaust and the gasket for the exhaust was so damn caroted (spelled wrong) that I just threw it away, need to order another one. If it is from an exhaust leak that would cause it not to start and possibly keep flooding the engine right?

Stygian

Banned
RCDAD said:
To me it looks like the oil is above the head gasket and the gasket area looks clean. To me it looks more like an exhaust leak. An exhaust leak would not cause your starting issue.
Aahh ok, where should I start looking to solve the starting issue, I have already reset the H and L to factory got it unflooded but it keeps reflooding after like 5 pulls.

G

Are you getting spark?

G

You might need to lean out the L needle. Try only one turn out. Try starting with no choke also. The factory carb is hit and miss. I've had one that had to be really lean to run.

Air leaks behind the carb and or insulator (manifold) can also make it very hard to start.

Stygian

Banned
rampagemt said:
Changed plug? I would even try a new coil
I haven't tried that yet, I did buy 2 new plugs though so I should try that, does the exhaust have to be on for it to fire up or can it be left off as I need to replace the gasket?

G

You need to have the exhaust on. You need to have a little back pressure.

Stygian

Banned
RCDAD said:
You might need to lean out the L needle. Try only one turn out. Try starting with no choke also. The factory carb is hit and miss. I've had one that had to be really lean to run.Air leaks behind the carb and or insulator (manifold) can also make it very hard to start.
Yeah I have been using no choke. When I took the carb off the gasket that was by the carb and black piece it mounts too was pretty carotid and so where the gaskets, will clean them all off and put the carb back on and put in a new plug and see what happens and will have to wait to get a new gasket for the exhaust blah

Stygian

Banned
RCDad would an exhaust leak cause oil to be carotid on both sides of the engine where the exhaust is and where the carb is, because both sides of the engine was carotid with oil like it was leaking all over.

G

Yes the flywheel has the fan blades. Even a small exhaust leak will cause oil to be everywhere.

Stygian

Banned
Aahh OK putting it all back together now hopefully it will fire up

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Stygian

Banned
Will do I have everything back together and the new air filter on it and unfortunately do to the time it will have to wait until tomorrow to see if it will start

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Ted Hartman

Xb will not start

I just went thru all this with a new Dune Runner. If I were to hold the throttle open and pull 20 to 30 times it would start. Talked to,redcat tech support and they wanted me to send them the engine. Instead, I called DDM and bought a new carb from them. Problem solved. Cheaper than shipping an engine. Some times warranties don't always work.

I had an oil leak on my now 20 day old XB and found the leak to be the exhaust flange to pipe joint. Redcat is in the process of shipping me a new pipe under warranty.

I know my solution is to buy a new 668 from DDM but it is the best thing to do with any redcat. Put a real carb on it, then go play, leave the knock-offs in china.

Hope this helps in some way

Ted

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts