• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

What type shock oil are you using?

mvaughn12

On your shocks for the Chimera what oil are you guys using? Or are you using the stock oil for the shocks? Also are you using the stock air filter or using another brand? I'm thinking about changing the air filter, I'm sure it's ok but I'm not too happy with how the throttle hits it.

Mycbr6rr

Don't use a high flow air filter !!! Keep the stock one ,I'm going to get a Hpi baja filter it's similar to the one on the Chimera ,a high flow will let too much dirt in the carb and TRASH the motor

Mycbr6rr

I have done anything with my shocks yet I'm waiting to drive it but I am curious of what type of oil they use ,Silicone oil or non silicone like the Hpi BAJAS

mvaughn12

It look pretty good. I just don't like how the servo arm hits on the filter. I think that why it has the bend in the arm but If I could find a good one with clearance from the servo arm that would be great.

rampage idiot

Most guys are running 40w silicone oil in the shocks, I have used silicone and regular 40w and cant tell a difference, a lot of guys are running the 3 stage DT-1 air filter like me

mvaughn12

Cool!!! I'll have to pick some 40w silicone oil. I should be able to get it at my hobby shop

alfred e numan

just a random thought-- if you can get away with using non silicone shock oil, there are hundreds of brands -dozens of weights of suspension fluids for sale in decent dirt bike shops- any thing from zero weight and up- silkonine- honda, yamaha, maxima, bel ray- race tech, spectro- massive slection at a great shop called cycle gear- theres one in phonex-tuson- its a chain store- could be in other state also for all i know---

Ildy666

mvaughn12 said:
It look pretty good. I just don't like how the servo arm hits on the filter. I think that why it has the bend in the arm but If I could find a good one with clearance from the servo arm that would be great.
Swap ur linkages on the throttle servo.then they will clear the filter...

mwilsonjr

I use this stack on the Hpi filter and it clears the linkage on my MT af512 - Shread Industries Angled Open Plenum ShreadStack for HPI Baja 5b/5T from Daves

X-ray man

I have been running 40w front and 50w rear with an chimera front spring in the rear and it has handled awesome and good on jumps and landings. I thought 50w with that spring would be way to stiff for the rear but it has actually worked out great for all around terrains and I have not noticed any negative affect on the shocks. Just figured I would mention it but did not want to make anyone's decision harder. I also did 40w all around and it worked fine so you can't go wrong there. for the few bucks trial and error was my best bet but it really comes down to your preference and application necessity. Thanks guys for letting me bend you ear

daravelli

I'm about to switch to 40wt all around myself. Just curious, how much oil does it take to fill all 4 shocks? Will a single 4oz bottle do it?

topblissgt

daravelli said:
I'm about to switch to 40wt all around myself. Just curious, how much oil does it take to fill all 4 shocks? Will a single 4oz bottle do it?
I just did my sons 4 shocks with 40w and one 4 oz made it with about 20% to spare. To be honest, the 40 w felt exactly the same as the stock oil when I compressed both shocks back to back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts