• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

What fuel are you using? Ethanol free 4 cycle mower fuel??????? Also what oil?

jandmt

So Im dreading using ethanol blended fuel in my dune runner (when it arrives next week) and have been researching other alternatives.

First and foremost, there are no ethanol free gas stations anywhere near me. I have checked.

So from what I hear, the best fuel to use on these cars (although not the cheapest) is ethanol free lawn mower fuel. So I found this stuff at home depot

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-TruFuel-4-Cycle-Ethanol-Free-Fuel-6-Pack-6527238/203572162?quantity=1&str_nbr=6661

So what oil should I mix in for break in, and what oil after break in?

krashkrieg

Contributor
That's four stroke and very expensive!

If you have any airports near you, call ahead, they will sell you 100LL AV fuel...last I checked it was around 6.20 gallon

I run it in my Gizmo FM and my catamaran race boat

Deluge

VP has ethanol free fuel for two stroke engines. Might want to check that out

I've broken in engines with conventional oil and semi-synthetic oil. Never had an issue with either one. It's personal preference, really. Some guys stick with synthetic, some stick with conventional. I think it's more about which break-in process you follow that determines your success. Personally, I do some warm up laps and run it hard from there. You do want to run with stock carb settings, though. Otherwise you could seize the engine. I break it in for about a tank, and then tune by the second tank.

jandmt

krashkrieg said:
That's four stroke and very expensive!If you have any airports near you, call ahead, they will sell you 100LL AV fuel...last I checked it was around 6.20 gallon

4 stroke fuel is the same as 2 stroke fuel. It's just not pre mixed with oil. All of the 2 stroke fuels are pre mixed 50:1 or 40:1. I can't find any that say 2 stroke and are not pre mixed, or have the right 25:1 mix.

I don't think I want to mess with airplane fuel. Plus 100 octane seems a bit excessive.

jandmt

Deluge said:
VP has ethanol free fuel for two stroke engines. Might want to check that outI've broken in engines with conventional oil and semi-synthetic oil. Never had an issue with either one. It's personal preference, really. Some guys stick with synthetic, some stick with conventional. I think it's more about which break-in process you follow that determines your success. Personally, I do some warm up laps and run it hard from there. You do want to run with stock carb settings, though. Otherwise you could seize the engine. I break it in for about a tank, and then tune by the second tank.
Thanks for the tips. But what do you mean warm up laps? How much throttle? Should I not keep it at a certain throttle level for too long on the first tank? Should I open it WOT at all on the first tank?

Ildy666

Just run reg. pump gas and run it dry every time you use it or empty the tank and let it run till it stalls.plus pump gas is $3 a gallon that's why most run 1/5 scale....

krashkrieg

Contributor
First tank, after first warm up / cool down then blip to 3/4 is ok..let cool down again 2 more times...then ..second tank let er rip...

krashkrieg

Contributor
Ildy666 said:
Just run reg. pump gas and run it dry every time you use it or empty the tank and let it run till it stalls.plus pump gas is $3 a gallon that's why most run 1/5 scale....
If it's a stocker engine, then yes to what Ildy says...

topblissgt

I run trufuel and it run great.... HIGHLY recommended. The shelf life is years as compared to months too. Its niot expensive as far as rc goes. A case will last at least a season maybe 2

BertR

krashkrieg said:
That's four stroke and very expensive!If you have any airports near you, call ahead, they will sell you 100LL AV fuel...last I checked it was around 6.20 gallon

Krash....I use to run avgas in the bike and quad's at glamis but never tried it in the 5th scale! Did you see a gainrunning it in your mod.

jandmt

topblissgt said:
I run trufuel and it run great.... HIGHLY recommended. The shelf life is years as compared to months too. Its niot expensive as far as rc goes. A case will last at least a season maybe 2
Great! thats what I needed to hear. You use the 4 stroke fuel and mix oil yourself correct?

jandmt

Ildy666 said:
If I could run Ethanol free pump gas, I would! But thats not an easy thing. Nearest place is an 1.5 hours away. I don't care about cost. Im spending $1500 on my dune runner with all the mods and upgrades. I want to take care of it by not messing it up with ethanol blended fuel. Especially here in Cali, its 15% ethanol which is not recommended at all for 2 stroke engines.

Deluge

jandmt said:
Thanks for the tips. But what do you mean warm up laps? How much throttle? Should I not keep it at a certain throttle level for too long on the first tank? Should I open it WOT at all on the first tank?
Basically take some easy laps to let the engine warm up to operating temp. Nothing over half throttle on the warm up laps. Once it's warmed up, run it how you plan on running it. The goal is to seat the ring, and in order to seat the ring properly you need to put a load on it. Putting around won't get it done.

rcgasser

Deluge said:
Basically take some easy laps to let the engine warm up to operating temp. Nothing over half throttle on the warm up laps. Once it's warmed up, run it how you plan on running it. The goal is to seat the ring, and in order to seat the ring properly you need to put a load on it. Putting around won't get it done.
+1 the best break in advice ever this is how I break in all my 1/5 scale with zero problems crank it up let it idle for about 2-3mins to get all the way to warm up temp lil less then half throttle 3-4 mins and then run it hard I still don't do long wot yet but run it hard this will help the ring seat faster, and you are running on the stock setting so you are running rich anyway so the motor is still getting plenty of oil.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online