• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

VP racing fuel

MNRampage

Picked up a can of vp fuel at home depot this evening. Says for small engines

94 octane already mixed 50:1

Thought I'd give it a try,anyone else tried it yet ?

rcgasser

I have used it way back in the day but now they have a fourmala for the 1/5 scales instead of the one home depot sells for just small engine which is ethanol free which is supposed to help on start up and easier for the engine to run when it has set up all winter long.

Ebb75

Why do they suggest to use 25:1 when my chainsaw recommends 50:1 and there both 30cc. Would it be because the MT revs higher than a chainsaw. Not sure what my chainsaw revs at but i have never had to touch it, just fill gas and cut. maybe they recommend 25:1 so theres a pretty large margin for error on the tuning.

rcgasser

Yes that's what I have always thought also they say a higher oil content to allow a larger margin for error. Redcats new manuals says to break in the car at 20:1 then after break in they say run 25:1

Ebb75

Does it make a big difference if you run 50:1 instead of 25:1, I have never experimented, I always just ran what the manufacturer suggest.

Dreggsta

i know trip says he runs his xb @ 50:1.

as for gas i prefer the ethanol mix myself. cleaner burn. i have racing buddies who run their mud racing quads, regular non-race quads & their home & farm pick up trucks on pure ethanol. no issues whatsoever. i had ethanol in my quad that was sitting for over 1.5 years. it had ethanol mix in it & it started right up. no sta-BULL in it at all.

G

50:1 only works on a very rich mixture. If you lean out your engine for performance you really need to stick to the 25:1.

G

Dreggsta said:
i know trip says he runs his xb @ 50:1. as for gas i prefer the ethanol mix myself. cleaner burn. i have racing buddies who run their mud racing quads, regular non-race quads & their home & farm pick up trucks on pure ethanol. no issues whatsoever. i had ethanol in my quad that was sitting for over 1.5 years. it had ethanol mix in it & it started right up. no sta-BULL in it at all.
Alcohol has its benefits. It is hard on rubber fuel lines and carb parts only. For some of us throw'n on a new carb every couple of years is no big deal. Only 40 bucks. So the ethanol mix is fine.

Ebb75

RCDAD said:
50:1 only works on a very rich mixture. If you lean out your engine for performance you really need to stick to the 25:1.
So you wont gain anything? either a rich 50:1 or a lean 25:1, makes sense.

G

Not true. Performance tuning requires a little leaner air fuel mixture. It will allow the engine to rev higher.

A higher oil ratio (25:1) is proven to increase compression. So, it is better to run more oil with a good tune.

It is just better and safer to run more oil.

Dreggsta

RCDAD said:
Alcohol has its benefits. It is hard on rubber fuel lines and carb parts only. For some of us throw'n on a new carb every couple of years is no big deal. Only 40 bucks. So the ethanol mix is fine.
most rubbers are actually resistant to alcohol. one honest negative about ethanol is that you get less mpg's from it. it burns faster & more efficient than gas which burns slower so bc of the cleaner, more efficient burn more ethanol/gas mix is required to go the same distance as non ethanol/gas mix. i don't buy the carb & fuel line deal. ethanol is bad mouthed down here so i've heard it all. i know a guy that distills his own ethanol that he runs in all his gas eqipment. alcohol = mo powa.

i realize i prolly sound like a know it all or someone that knows whoever but if i didn't know it i wouldn't say it. this guy is also on my atv forum & is very, very mechanically inclined & a huge help to the guys on that forum.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Alcohols best property is that it burns so cool. You can force feed the stuff into your engine without burning it up. That is how you get the extra power. However your engine needs to be set up for it. It can cause problems with these engines. If you run alcohol in your RC you need to flush with a gas mix after every outing.

Dreggsta

i am running the 10% in my xt just as i run it in my truck, my trimmer, atv's & mower. i wish we had a 20% blend here!

Ebb75

Up here Regular fuel at the pump has about 10% ethanol and premium fuel has 0. So why pay more for 0 ethanol. if more ethanol is better shouldnt the 10% ethanol cost more. Just curious is all.

Dreggsta

i really think the ethanol preference is just that, a personal preference. some hate it, some love it. some won't put it in anything they own w/an engine. down here, most stations have the 10% blend no matter what blend you get. there are few stations that serve a pure fuel blend & they advertise it big. i go into a auto parts store & all i hear are bad things about ethanol. me, i honestly will run whatever as long as it's good. pure fuel, ethanol mix, i honestly don't care as long as it's good. you gotta remember, when you buy premium fuel, it's not just the octane rating you are buying, there is also a lot of additives in there too that they put in there. those additives are what's expensive. add up cost of injector cleaner if you were to buy it every time you filled up & you see why premium is more expensive than ethanol. ethanol = cleaner burn = cleaner injectors & parts. premium = additives to clean injectors & parts. twice a year i put seafoam in all my engines. i'm a big believer in seafoam. :)

Ebb75

Ya I havent had any problems with ethanol. Usually just a carb clean on all the toys after sitting for 6 months and start up is a breeze. Cant afford to run premium Lol.

Dreggsta

yeh man, i can't afford premium either. i can't afford to pay someone to work on my truck when it breaks either. i have to fix it. heck, i don't know how i'm affording this hobby either. lmao! :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts