Venting fuel tank

rampage18

Thread starter #1
Hey guys this is my first post.

I have a question, my XT will run nice and strong until the motor has ran for about 10 min or so at higher rpm. After a while it will start to break up and if I let out of the throttle it will catch it self. I can start to run at W.O.T again. Then it will cough and break up again and then quit. It will not restart unless I push the primer again, will start and quit. Am I needing to vent my fuel system? I'm thinking I'm creating to much of a vacuum in the tank.

Any input will be appreciated, and tips and tricks are welcome also.

G-Man

Hey guys this is my first post.

I have a question, my XT will run nice and strong until the motor has ran for about 10 min or so at higher rpm. After a while it will start to break up and if I let out of the throttle it will catch it self. I can start to run at W.O.T again. Then it will cough and break up again and then quit. It will not restart unless I push the primer again, will start and quit. Am I needing to vent my fuel system? I'm thinking I'm creating to much of a vacuum in the tank.

Any input will be appreciated, and tips and tricks are welcome also.
Make a simple gas cap vent like this out of a nipple threaded into the cap with a short piece of fuel hose and a dirtbike tank vent valve on the end. Then cut the stock rubber seal in the cap so it is just a washer kinda like a garden hose. Boom you are done. No more bogging at half tank and hard starts below half tank. Hope this helps!! 20170403_064647.jpg

G-Man

oh ok that works, what if the truck rolls is it an anti syphon? or does gas come out
Gas will come out of the vent if it is on it's lid for a length of time as will your stock cap. The leakage is very minimal if at all normally. I have a tendency to be in a hurry to flip it back over. I make a point to clean out the valve on the end of the hose with carb cleaner frequently and be sure it rattles letting you know the valve is free

G-Man

20180302_212014.jpg Recently made a vent cap with an aluminum cap. Looks better, same function