• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

upgraded diff woes

mooman007uk

Banned
I do declare that the upgraded pins are bombproof, i broke the diff cup shaft yesterday yet the pin remained intact:eek: I had to take the stock cup and dremel out the hole for the bigger pin with a taper diamond bit all good now.

I think my vid bash ending ouchie weakened it when the dog bone popped out and jambed abruptly against the cup.

Clubin

Banned
NICE! I like the look of that, I haven't seen very much broken Rampage parts, you must have deserved that failure. I could imagine what that would take to break if som one gave you tools and asked you to break it, I don't know where I would start.

Piranha2

Contributor
Nice work Moo, keep breaking stuff so you can "show" us how to fix it when we break it....IF we break it....where's that vid of the SS pipe???????????

mooman007uk

Banned
I don't believe my luck!!! ss pipe vid is on hold cos I smushed it...just got the carb dialled in and next door neighbour came to hold my camera, just about to put the body on and had a bit of an oopsie, a strategically place rock struck the pipe and flattened it when my mt flipped. Managed to beat it back into shape but it's now in 2 parts awaiting some tig welding on Monday, oh yeah and managed to break my first front arm at the diff pin, whacked straight into a big arbutus log. I will say that the pipe is relly mental, i put mcd 27/33 gears in and boy is it fast. waiting for my servos for twin steer cos my stock servo doesn't turn worth a shit anymore.

I'm heading for the sand pit tomorrow with my freshly repaired fgbaja...i have to learn to go easy with the throttle finger...yeah right!

yolonda21

Contributor
I've twisted the old diff cups off like that , so I figured the upgrades may fail as well being as they are thiner due to the larger pins. :mad:

Sprint 77

Contributor
MoomanUK007 Sorry to hear about the pipe beatings. Wish shipping was quiker across the border so I could fix it up for ya, make the guy try a thin piece of something else before he touches the pipe , not a easy chore to weld that thin stuff if he not used to it he make more of a mess than he does good. Sounds like with your luck and heavy finger you need to move to Texas and rent a room here in Gladewater and so I can fab your truck back together you sound like if it makes it through your tests it is good to go out to the rest of the market. LOL

mooman007uk

Banned
The pipe would have been untouched if I had the body on, it dug the front end in, endoed right on the top of the pipe...couldn't have done it if I'd tried 100 times...just sod's law...it's got a few dings in it now but no big flat spots...it was squashed to about an inch thick with a bad crease so i'm happy the way it straightened out...it'll perform just like new anyhow. there's an aluminum fab shop 5mins from me and there's a couple of really good tig men there so repair should be good. I'll make a thin alloy brace (so it's got some give) between the shock standoffs bent to touch the pipe and jubilee clip it on at the back this time

DSC00186.jpg

DSC00188.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

my mt is almost moo proof now and compared to my fg has cost way less than half of the fg mooproofing build. I enjoy the challenge.

kryptonite

holy crap moo. that thing looks like a peice of cheese. it sounds like you are gona try to salvage that??. the way you run, you need to stick with an X-can or something like that. i bet you could break a rock if you look at it long enough.. .. i like that quote: MOO PROOF!!

hellya

Hey moo you getting a hellya pipe:D ( dom mod)....those pipes look pretty thin....was that a baja conversion with the Redcat pipe...you repairing that pipe....GL

Last edited by a moderator:

mooman007uk

Banned
Yeah i got a dom pipe like yours on the way, this ones an ss pipe, I was real impressed with it, it made crazy power all the way through the rev range, should weld up ok and tide me over til my77dom arrives.

I forgot to take a pic of what it was like before I straightened it. it looked unsalvagable at first...took about an hour of buggering about.

yolonda21

Contributor
I've crushed pipes before and what i did to fix them is fill it with water and plug off the ends. Then put it in the freezer over night. If they are really bad you might have to do it twice. But it works good and you don't have to cut them open.

mooman007uk

Banned
I tried heating it with a torch and blowing compressed air in it but the crease was real bad and wouldn't come out even with 80psi so I decided to get out the hacksaw. shame it wasn't steel cos I can weld that no problem either gas or tig but aluminum welding is not a strong point of mine but the shop down the road can fix it for me for a flat of beer

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts