• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Trans. gears crunching?

Lizardking

Something I noticed- when I installed my ramtech gears I noticed the transmission became very difficult to spin- crunching when spinning. They would mash hard when I would try to spin then they would free up and than mash hard again- almost like something was out of round or a shaft was bent. Today, I finished putting my ESP engine in and also put the aluminum gear plate on and problem fixed. Now, its as smooth as silk.... That plastic gear plate is a joke including the bearings. I put the Fast Eddy's bearings in too...

Piranha2

Contributor
First mod I did was the gear plate (blue alum)......then the 28.5 :cool:

Piranha2

Contributor
make sure you pick up the slop of the 35/25 shaft carrier bearings into that gearplate (with foil tape) or you'll be doing skate bearings tomorrow

dif cup 004.JPG

/monthly_2009_03/583c6056eea92_difcup004.JPG.1f5f606626c056b6478ad6ea38502b8e.JPG

Piranha2

Contributor
Was just commenting to make sure your bearings fit snugly and you'll be fine.

kryptonite

Lizardking said:
Something I noticed- when I installed my ramtech gears I noticed the transmission became very difficult to spin- crunching when spinning. They would mash hard when I would try to spin then they would free up and than mash hard again- almost like something was out of round or a shaft was bent. Today, I finished putting my ESP engine in and also put the aluminum gear plate on and problem fixed. Now, its as smooth as silk.... That plastic gear plate is a joke including the bearings. I put the Fast Eddy's bearings in too...
it goes away after the first few minutes. at first i thought it was the drive gears but i had my tt all apart and it was the center gears(no drive shafts, gears or diff in) both my rigs free-spin like skateboard wheels now. it is odd to feel that binding, but it goes away. its also loud at first, but you will soon hear it become very smooth

Lizardking

Yeah, after upgrading to the aluminum gear plate today- it's as smooth as silk. Couldn't believe it made that much of a difference.

kryptonite

Lizardking said:
Yeah, after upgrading to the aluminum gear plate today- it's as smooth as silk. Couldn't believe it made that much of a difference.
hmm. im stumped as to what it could be. at first i thought the 2 25t gears, but then i had it all apart. just chassis and motor and i could barely turn the center gears.. i don't have alum gear plate in eather rig. it seems like the gear plate fixes alot of problems with gear meshing. but i havent had ANY melting problems with the mcd's..yet.

NEWCARNAGE

I hooked mine up to power drill and ran for a long time till crunchy went away. No strain on motor or clutch that way

kryptonite

oh my... thats a new one. did you leave the tires on. must have been tough chasin that thing around the front yard with a 30,000rpm power drill and a cord... ah just kidd'in. its late..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.