• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

top speed

ocy9

this has probably been discussed before, but i'm looking to get the most speed out of my car and thought that a multiple speed tranny might give me the most significant increase in performance. of course, increased speed means i'll also have to do something about stopping power unless i want to go through brake rotors quickly.

i found these two mods on the net and was wondering whether they'd be compatible with the XB.

4 wheel disc brake kit: http://www.fidracing.com/products/hpi-baja-5sc/369.html

4 speed tranny: http://www.fidracing.com/products/78.html

and while we're on the topic of top speed, how fast does a stock XB go when properly tuned?

Last edited by a moderator:

cordy

The brakes will probably have to be moded to fit.The four speed is for a baja and will not fit your xb. Demon rc is comming out with a 2 speed for the x series.You can reverse your a and b gears to get a little more top end.You could also go with a belt drive which eliminates your gear train and lightens up the xb. The lighter the platform the faster it goes.You start adding aluminum,heavy wheels the slower it will go.The other option is get a biger engine then you can add some bling.Make shure if your going to go fast or slow get a kill switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Both those kits are designed for the Baja. They would not bolt up.

The stock brakes are very good and last a long time.

ocy9

I see.

How fast does the XB go right out of the box anyway (assuming it's properly tuned)? I've searched and searched for some figures but I can't find anything at all.

ocy9

The XB-E does mid-thirties. I expected the gas powered version to have a higher top end speed.

G

The XBE is quicker. It is lighter than the XB. The stock 30.5cc gas engine is not a high hp engine.

ocy9

Is it possible to bring the top speed up to 50 or maybe even 60 mph with the proper mods? I'm talking engine, exhaust, wheels, etc...

G

Yes, with a high hp motor and some tall gearing.

ocy9

Very true. I know where to get a high HP motor, but what about the gears? Can someone link me to which ones I need?

G

You can either run a 35-25 gear ratio (Redcat gears) or the multi ratio belt drive with the .7:1 pulleys.

ocy9

how does one adjust the gear ratio on an XB? i'm guessing it isn't as simple as removing the stock gears and just popping in taller ones.

rampagemt

Yup. If you switched you clutchbell and the middle putter gear and you Still want more speed you will need x3 25t and one 35 t if you want all out speed

G

It is just that simple. You pull off the A & B gears and replace them with a taller set.

The XB comes stock with 29-31. The highest from Redcat is 35-25.

G

You will want to install a high rpm clutch spring. It will help with the launch when running tall gears.

G

You could also run one of the adjustable clutches.

I've never tried one. I have had no issues with the standard 2 shoe style.

chrispc66

Once you start to exceed 60km/h with trucks and buggies, they can only be used on smooth surfaces which is pretty boring. At this speed on rough dirt or scrubby surfaces your vehicle will just go out of control and wreck.

I geared up my HSP / TT-5 buggy 35-25-25-25 with motor hop ups, pipe and clutch. Speedo app on phone read around 80 km/h flat stick on a smooth road surface. Problem was, even on knobby grass, the buggy would go out of control, bouncing, jack knifing and flipping / rolling very violently.......$$$$$$....

IMO, 60 km/h is great for 1/5 scale trucks and buggies, the real fun lies in bashing around tracks and rough ground, jumps and on grassy ovals against friends. I achieve 60 km/h with 31-29-26-24 gears currently......more than enough for fun times.....if you want all out speed...like > 100 km/h to 160 km/h just go high end quality brushless or spend a fortune on a high end gasser where all the top speed stuff is available. Be prepared to spend huge $$$$$ though.

Low down grunt, rooster tails and tyre shredding acceleration is far more fun than all out speed for general bashing and racing......unless your into 1/5 scale drags or airport runway bashing.....

G

I find that 70-80km/hr (in the 40s when talking mph) is still controllable. Just don't take any corners at those speeds. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.